🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Collapsing Xform without converting shapes to editable polys

Started by
2 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 8 years, 9 months ago

When collapsing an xform in a group, everything is converted into editable polys.

How can I avoid Shapes to be converted into editable polys and leave them as shapes?

Thanks

Jack

Advertisement

This is very vague, can you show us a image of what you want to do.

When collapsing an xform in a group, everything is converted into editable polys.

This is how it is suppose to work. If you model a bridge you can use xform to bend it into the shape you need, then merge it with the scaffolding and finish the model.

Hello,

I am using the scene to build a grid map.

However, the original scene was too big.

So I use Xform to shrink it down.

The artist originally used shapes to separate some areas, these are just road signs

When I group up everything to xform them together as a whole.

The shapes are transformed to editable polys.

When I export to the game editor, the signs are treated as unwalkables..

Thanks

Jack

Sorry I took this long to respond, I was busy.

The artist originally used shapes to separate some areas, these are just road signs
When I group up everything to xform them together as a whole.

You will need to separate the signs and other shapes before or after scaling.

Then import it into your game editor as separate objects, this should allow you to change the collisions.

A other and simpler option would be to import it into the editor and scale it down after it was imported.

The workflow you are using is frowned upon by artist and level designers, not because it is bad practice, because it leads to the kind of problem you have now.

When making assets for games you need to keep all objects separate, because not all objects will be treated the same in game.

Build your scene inside the game editor not the 3D editor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement