🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

SF government/race types

Started by
7 comments, last by wodinoneeye 8 years, 9 months ago

I look for names of SF government types. I will be using these with a race name like "Antarians League". Note that these do not have to be exactly government types (althrough these are preferred) I'm mostly looking for things to describe a race in a from like "Antarians SOMETHING".

Here are some examples:

Empire

Federation

Confederacy

Monarchy

Collective

Directorate

League

Republic

Theocracy

Conglomerate/Consortium (not sure about that one, too tradelike)

Emirate/Sultanate

Matriarchate

Technocracy

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

How about:

Guild (for trade planets)

Union

Planetary Association

Alliance

Grand Rulership

Some more alien ones:

Hemogony

Hive

Cluster

Brood

Clan

Warband

I dont know if you've seen this yet, but just found this.

There are lots of interesting ones on here you can make 'spacey' easily, for example: Oligarchy of planets... :)

Theocracy

If they are a religious organization maybe you could use caliphate?

I was going to suggest hive, but I was too late =p

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

Hierarchy

Caste

Autonomous worlds

Lordship

Overwatch

Rebellion

Revolutionary front

Cell

I dont know if you've seen this yet, but just found this.

There are lots of interesting ones on here you can make 'spacey' easily, for example: Oligarchy of planets... smile.png

Yes, that one and 2 other lists :) Still, these do not contain a lot of cool ones (like Hegemony which you posted also it had no Caliphate).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Not sure what this is called - its what the Poles had through much of their history.

Large Noble and Aristocratic class (largest percentage of population being in that category in europe , maybe world)

Where any decision created by the combined nobility could be vetoed by any member and the King more carried out the agreed action but only had his one veto like all the others --- so alot DIDNT happen as decisions had to be unanimous and the individual nobles/aristocrats had ALOT more autonomy (and usually their own private armies)

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

Not sure what this is called - its what the Poles had through much of their history.

Large Noble and Aristocratic class (largest percentage of population being in that category in europe , maybe world)

Where any decision created by the combined nobility could be vetoed by any member and the King more carried out the agreed action but only had his one veto like all the others --- so alot DIDNT happen as decisions had to be unanimous and the individual nobles/aristocrats had ALOT more autonomy (and usually their own private armies)

We call it "Nobiliar democracy", at least when translating directly. The most ineffective government type in history of humankind :D Especially the Liberum Veto thing :)

"The most ineffective government type in history of humankind"

It moved the power to be more local (so most ineffective NATIONAL government)

Consider also early Middle Ages (and in 'Dark Ages' I guess) that the 'King' was really a near mythical figure because of poor transportation/communication/isolation minimizing his direct affect, and thus the government was quite local through much of the 'realm'

Remember Magna Carta formalized/defined alot of Royal power (and the support for it and ability to apeal to it .. royal judges and so forth)

Add to the general list the degenerate cases of governments ...

Warlordships (local military hemogeny?)

Or fallback all the way to clan/tribe and family structure being the only ruling 'government'

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement