🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Graphics API for Visual Studio 2015

Started by
6 comments, last by Xai 8 years, 8 months ago

Edit: SOLVED!

(Original post)
Hey guys, I got Visual Studio 2015 but apparently SFML isn't compatible with it yet. So I thought I'd ask:

What kind of graphics API do you guys use for C++ with VS2015? - OR - does VS2015 have something internal that I just haven't seen yet? I need to sit down with learning to know the IDE properly, so I might have missed something. I'd like to have something that works cross-platform. I've asked elsewhere too, but I'd like to ask here too because none of the tips seem to "bubble to the top".

Someone mentioned SDL for me too, what do you feel about that?

But barring the need for cross-platform, does Direct3D have all the functions etc I need to create a graphics window? Or is Direct3D used in conjunction with something that does? Thanks.

Advertisement

Hey guys, I got Visual Studio 2015 but apparently SFML isn't compatible with it yet.

How so? The prepackaged binaries list Visual Studio 2015, both x64 and x86.

On Visual Studio Nuget Manager you have SFML 2.3.0, i think, if you don't want to go through the linking process.

It's been a while but doesn't SFML have a source distribution you can compile? I think it used CMAKE... or I might be thinking of something else.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

But barring the need for cross-platform, does Direct3D have all the functions etc I need to create a graphics window? Or is Direct3D used in conjunction with something that does? Thanks

Direct3D renders triangles, invokes shaders, manages textures, and so on. That's it.

The standard Windows APIs (either the old-style Win32 API or the newer WinRT API) for creating windows and reading the message pump and so on are used for those things. Direct3D does not replace the Windows API, it simply adds something else to it.

DirectXTK is a helper library for many tasks related to Direct3D. Window creation and input are not there, though. Thankfully, however, creating a window and such is boilerplate you can copy off the Internet (eg from the DirectXTK samples) and don't need to interact with again.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Hey guys, thanks for the replies but I've been getting some solid help from Khatharr+ in chat.

Hey guys, I got Visual Studio 2015 but apparently SFML isn't compatible with it yet.

How so? The prepackaged binaries list Visual Studio 2015, both x64 and x86.

I'm brainfarting, an update for 2015 literally came up a few days ago and I had checked out the site just before. rolleyes.gif
So problem solved.

On Visual Studio Nuget Manager you have SFML 2.3.0, i think, if you don't want to go through the linking process.

Thanks for the tip, but the version for VS2015 is not up yet at this point (if that matters):
https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/27077b70-9dad-4c64-adcf-c7cf6bc9970c

Visual Studio 2015 included Nuget out of the box, and if you go to Tools | Extensions and Updates | Updates ... there is a link to update to the latest nuget package manager version as well (and updates for the SQL data tools, and TypeScript version 1.6 as well) ...

Visual Studio is project, solution and .net framework compatible with 2013 ... you can open and work on anything and everything that works in 2013 (as far as I know) ... except actual IDE extensions ... which are different ...

Visual Studio 2015 does have 1 really crazy bug I've found so far - if you set your options to keep tabs instead of spaces (which I do ...), then using "Go to Definition" into assemblies (that aren't your own projects) will fail ... really insane bug ... cause the roslyn based stuff just isn't quite 100% yet. However the issue is expected to be corrected in update 1, along with a few others.

I use both the Community (home) and Enterprise (work) editions ... and other than that 1 insane bug, I haven't seen any reason to use 2012 or 2013 any more (still have 2010 for REALLY OLD projects).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement