🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

CodeWarrior for console programming

Started by
0 comments, last by BASSOFeeSH 24 years, 5 months ago
I was surfing earlier today and came across CodeWarrior. Now I am just starting my first 2D engine with DirectX, but I was always curious about console development. My questions is: How good is CodeWarrior really? I mean, they claim to have versions for PS, PS2, N64, ... Does it really generate fast code? Does it really help in porting code to different consoles? I am asking because I had always heard that there is a great deal more assembly programming in consoles. I guess I am just really interested in these types of things... ; ) BASSOFeeSH ><>
-- What would Sweetness do?
Advertisement
Well, in the old days, all console development was assembly. This was needed since the consoles just weren't that fast, so you had to squeeze every inch out of them. In the newer consoles, it's more of a combination of both. Most lower level code is still written in assembly, but higher level languages like C/C++ are used for the general game logic and such.

As far as CodeWarrior goes, I'm not too sure. You seem to know about as much about it as I do. I doubt it helps too much with porting however, since the hardware specs of each platform is so different.

Edited by - I-Shaolin on 1/19/00 5:21:18 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement