🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is there any place for a writer to fit in, find a place, or is it a waste of time?

Started by
1 comment, last by tymccray 8 years, 7 months ago

Sort of a weird existential-crisis kinda question here. I've tried to tackle all sorts of positions in game development over the last roughly 6 years. Solo full on development, mod development, team based, solely programming, solely writing, producing, etc, all small stuff and I'm no accomplished man or expert but I had some fun. The only thing I'm still good at, and to any extent, is writing though. I lose drive with programming, solo projects stress me out to the point of near constant procrastination, it's all bad stuff. But I can always write. I can write out mechanics, stories, descriptions, none of it ever bothers me other than the occasional loss in drive. So...

I would love to be able to fit into a team where I can write to my hearts content. Look at Kojima; he built himself a legacy out of it. But I'm sure he strived through some real low-level slog to get to that in a big company. Something I'm pretty sure I'm not smart enough or worthy of. I just wanna write stories or plan mechanics, things like that. Is there a place for people like me in this big scary industry? Or am I a sore thumb, never destined to find its place in the garden?

I dunno, I wonder sometimes.

Advertisement

I've tried to tackle all sorts of positions in game development over the last roughly 6 years. The only thing I'm still good at, and to any extent, is writing though. ... I just wanna write stories or plan mechanics, things like that.

"Planning mechanics" is an inscrutable term. How does that differ from "game design"? Of course there's a place for writers, but the writing jobs are harder to find than many. The better the portfolio, the better your chances. Writers who've worked on acclaimed games, or movies, or graphic novels, stand a better chance.

Is there a place for people like me in this big scary industry? Or am I a sore thumb, never destined to find its place in the garden?
... or is it a waste of time?

Sounds like you're feeling insecurities about yourself and where you might fit in. I think you ought to pursue what you're most interested in -- if it's writing, then WRITE. If it's something else, then do that. Keep on plugging away, and you'll keep working. Negative thinking is the killer waste of time.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Kojima was a special case in an older state of the industry. He wanted to be a writer, and when all his manuscripts were rejected, he went into games.

It was easier then because the market wasn't so competitive. It's a lot different now, I'm sorry to tell you.

If you are truly creative, and really like what you do, you'll find a unique group of people you can be with.

You don't need to be picked to be a great writer. Write what you want, talk with everybody you can about what you do, and you'll find work you like.

Don't give up, okay? I think you have a lot of persistence, and that's very rare these days.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement