🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to do seamless editing on multiple variants of a texture?

Started by
0 comments, last by JTippetts 8 years, 5 months ago

Hello,

I am considerably new to graphic design and I am planning to create a two dimensional somewhat pixel-art game comparable to Terraria but different. So for that I need textures for blocks, backgrounds and alike. However, instead of repeating the same texture for every block type there is, it would be great to have a selection of multiple different choices to be picked randomly when applying textures to blocks, but I have a problem with making it so that any combination of the texture selection is seamless. I use paint.NET and a few simple tools to make textures seamless but only repetitive ones and for more realism I need to make textures be randomly picked but also seamless in every combination that the random will create. Could anyone explain or link to very well-documented, preferably audiovisual, tutorials on how to do seamless editing for a range of textures?

Kind Regards,
Kreative

Advertisement

You might take a look at this blog post from the Path of Exile developers. It details a technique they used in PoE, that utilizes Wang tiles. With Wang tiles, the edges of texture variants are made to match up with specific other edges, so that the tiles can be combined in different patterns. With Wang tile sets, it is possible to tile the plane to infinity without repeating any given pattern.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement