🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Conferences

Started by
8 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 4 months ago

I would like to know if any sector outside of the "programming" sector (business, marketing , PR) from companies that usually participate in conferences where they announce new games such as E3, Tokyo Game Show, are sent to the conference to launch the game?

Advertisement

I wouldn't call "programming" "business, marketing and PR," but yes. It happens.

I would like to know if any sector outside of the "programming" sector (business, marketing , PR) from companies that usually participate in conferences where they announce new games such as E3, Tokyo Game Show, are sent to the conference to launch the game?

Your question is confusing. If you're looking for trade shows where they show off new games, you've named the two biggest. And there's also Essen Spiel where they show table games, and there's Toy Fair too. And ChiTaG.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Your question is confusing. If you're looking for trade shows where they show off new games, you've named the two biggest. And there's also Essen Spiel where they show table games, and there's Toy Fair too. And ChiTaG.

My bad, let me try again

I would like to know if companies that announce their new games in these trade shows like E3 send anyone from their staff to work during the event?

If yes are the staff members from the Marketing, business or PR sector of the company?

I would like to know if companies that announce their new games in these trade shows like E3 send anyone from their staff to work during the event?
If yes are the staff members from the Marketing, business or PR sector of the company?

Yes they do, and it depends on the company but usually a few people from all departments would go as the demo isn't the only job to do there.

Yes, when a company makes a major announcement at the show they will have people at the show who can answer questions.

The shows where game announcements are made are typically media-facing and consumer-facing shows. E3 and the Tokyo Game Show are not really designed for the technical folks.

The game studio people at these shows are also generally business-facing and media-facing. That means executives, producers, and PR folks. If they present a live demo there will be developers on hand to help if anything goes wrong, but often they will follow a script they have tested extensively, or a video of actual gameplay rather than a live demo.

Programmers will often attend technical conferences where there are talks about programming. That is where new programming technologies are announced but generally not new games.

Artists and animators will often attend artistic conferences, which is where new art tools are announced, but generally not new games.

Yes, when a company makes a major announcement at the show they will have people at the show who can ask questions.

The shows where game announcements are made are typically media-facing and consumer-facing shows. E3 and the Tokyo Game Show are not really designed for the technical folks.

The game studio people at these shows are also generally business-facing and media-facing. That means executives, producers, and PR folks. If they present a live demo there will be developers on hand to help if anything goes wrong, but often they will follow a script they have tested extensively, or a video of actual gameplay rather than a live demo.

Programmers will often attend technical conferences where there are talks about programming. That is where new programming technologies are announced but generally not new games.

Artists and animators will often attend artistic conferences, which is where new art tools are announced, but generally not new games.

Yes they do, and it depends on the company but usually a few people from all departments would go as the demo isn't the only job to do there.

Thank you!

Yes, and yes. Why do you ask? If we understood the reason for the question, we could probably give you the answer to your "real" question. smile.png

Yes, and yes. Why do you ask? If we understood the reason for the question, we could probably give you the answer to your "real" question. smile.png

That was the "real" question, I would like to know because I am pursuing a business degree and would like to work in the game industry in the future and having the possibility of working in these conferences is really attractive

I would like to know because I am pursuing a business degree and would like to work in the game industry in the future and having the possibility of working in these conferences is really attractive

I see. Now I understand your real question, which is "what is the possibility of my getting to work conferences if I work in the game industry after completing my business degree?"

The answer to that question is, it depends on what job you get with your business degree, and what kind of company you get your job with.

Jobs - finance, distribution, sales, marketing, HR, operations/manufacturing, event planning...

Company kinds - publishers, platform holders, peripheral makers, developers, QA, distribution, marketing, event organizing...

Different probabilities depending on those variables. It would be much easier to give you a great answer if we had the data to fill in those blanks in the equation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement