🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

isometric td - advice needed

Started by
14 comments, last by nfries88 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad you like the strong upgrades! laugh.png
I'll take a look at cooling systems for fire weapons then. smile.png
In the meantime I added the clip on the side.
I'm very sorry, I forgot to mention that the player can upgrade any of the 3 skills at the same time, so there could be a turret with both Strength 3 and Speed 3.
So I have to think about how the upgrades would look if combined together. I tried to image the turret with a cycling barrel.. it's huge! xD what if the player places another turret next to it?

2mr8ryf.jpg
Here another concept to have an idea of how it could look like:
23uscpl.jpg

sorry, I just noticed when reading everything again.. I have to change the base too. why did I forget it??? wacko.png (idiot) I'll post an update soon! >.<

Advertisement
Much better.

I think the speed upgrades are still too subtle, especially when shrunk down ingame.

Maybe try adding a tail and some enhancing the edges:
7ea87cec09.png

Maybe for speed you can add arrows in the base or on the clips, to indicate speed.

I actually like your Strength 3 + Speed 3 very much, it just screams maximum upgrade.

However it's like you said, by overlapping the bounding box it's colliding with the building next to it.

You could add a new mechanic to the game, where if a player builds a turret next to a other building it can't fire in that direction. This will turn it into a tactical choice where a player has to decide on more fire power or covering more terrain.

It's also easy to explain to players, because in real life a gun would fire into any object in it's path.

You can then also make weapons that ignore this rule or use the rule as a limit for heavy upgraded weapons.

These turrets look good, even the ones you don't plan on using. keep up the good work.

Color choice can be a good eye-drawing technique, too. Overall you seem to be applying this pretty well.

For example, bright and highly saturated warm colors (red, orange, yellow) are generally indicative of danger. This is why these colors are used for danger and warning signs, government alert levels, etc.
Bright blues and greens will naturally draw the eye, and are useful in occasions where you want the player's eye to be drawn to scenery.
Neutral colors (tan, beige) and colors with low saturation (near-gray) are likely to be glanced right over.

For example, in that last concept image, my eyes are most drawn to the cyan lines in the path; then to where the turrets are firing, then to the turrets that are firing currently, and finally to the other turrets. If your gameplay is heavily dependent on the path, maybe this is appropriate, otherwise you might want to tone that down.

Servant, I actually use a longer tail for the range upgrades..
Corner edges is a very cool idea, I tried mixing that with arrows as Scouting ninja said, but it might look to fancy.. unsure.png maybe a straight line would be better as I tried to make different versions and the one in the image below is probably the best one I got.

You could add a new mechanic to the game, where if a player builds a turret next to a other building it can't fire in that direction. This will turn it into a tactical choice where a player has to decide on more fire power or covering more terrain.

It's also easy to explain to players, because in real life a gun would fire into any object in it's path.

You can then also make weapons that ignore this rule or use the rule as a limit for heavy upgraded weapons.

Scouting Ninja, I have talked with the game designer, we are going to have the big looking turrets for the very powerful upgrades, as shown below. smile.png

2a5g4eh.jpg

Thank you, nfries88. I was thinking of using a red and orange palette for the enemies. smile.png
I made the bullets a bit red, but I will change them and alternate a bright red with a darker one. As you say the grey part blends too much with the floor.. and you are right, the path is not so important, it should just help from a navigation point of view, I will dim the color.

Thank you all again for all the very good advises and your time. smile.png smile.png smile.png

As you say the grey part blends too much with the floor..

You are probably making them gray because you are thinking of them as being made of sturdy metal, and the most common sturdy metal we see is steel, which has a gray color.
Cobalt is much harder than steel and is sometimes used in very heavy machine parts where extra durability is required. It has a very deep blue color in most of its natural forms, and the superalloys used to create jet engine turbines and such have a distinctive (but less deep) blue hue as well. Using deep blues (you already have been, just reinforcing) and bright blue-grays when designing your turrets can not only help them stand out against a more neutral background, you could also make the claim that it's realistic.
You could also make some auxiliary parts a bronze color to add contrast to the object.

I made the bullets a bit red, but I will change them and alternate a bright red with a darker one.

I actually think it's better for the bullets to be noticable, tbh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement