🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Feedback on Orchestral Game Music, and just to say hi

Started by
3 comments, last by ehowl 8 years, 3 months ago

Hi Everybody!

I have liked VGM since young and have recently tried to piece together some tracks just for personal leisure. Not doing this professionally though, and I just wish to see what I can create with the resources that I learnt online. Currently I am exploring Orchestral Music using VSL libraries in Kontakt 5, and am trying to create music which 'feels' like Hitoshi Sakimoto / Nobuo Uematsu compositions.

Here are my tracks on SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/ehowl

It will be very much appreciated for any feedback/advice/criticisms from the community here!

Thanks!

Advertisement

Wow those are some super jaunty tunes, Danny Elfman would be proud. The composition is fun, light-hearted, bubbly, which I'm guessing is what you were going for, nice work. On the downside, that library is really bad. Using just about anything else is going to be a big step up in quality. You don't have to go nuts and drop a ton of money on Vienna, but maybe wait for EastWest or Symphobia to go on sale and this will sound 1000% better. I wouldn't even start on the mixing/mastering until the sample quality is better.

Thanks for the feedback! Yea I thought it may have sounded bad due to poor use of reverb, EQ etc, but it looks like I will have more investing to do. Will definitely take a look at the sound banks. Thanks for the recommendations!

Hah, this is really nice, very inspired stuff! I really like the themes and the dynamic use of instrumentation. The only feedback I can come up with (apart from what CCH Audio already said) is that, for the Adventure track, there might be too much going on in the composition to make it suitable for being background music. The music feels like it's telling a story on its own; if anything you'd need to adapt the visuals to the music instead of the other way around.
Really cool stuff!

Yep I wrote this with only an imagination of how travel music might sound like on an animal, like chocobos in FF. Probably I will have to adjust how to make the tunes more subtle in my next song. Thanks for the feedback!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement