🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where can I find any level planning outlines?

Started by
2 comments, last by Gian-Reto 8 years, 3 months ago

Hello everyone there...

I'm a Chinese student, interested in game designing and making.(Yes, and this is my first topic here.)

I've been reading a book called Ultimate Game Design -> Building Game Worlds, which says I can find useful documents reference for level planning on www.gamedev.net.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:31206]

Well, here I am...

Registered and been wandering for a while, >>but<< unable to find what it says to be here...I would be grateful if anyone can tell me where can I find documents like this (Partly because the copy I have is in Chinese):

Level Planning Issues

Place: Where does the game take place? In a cemetery, or in a tunnel?

Time of a Day: Is the time changing? If it is, will it have any visual effects?

Weather: Is it raining? In a storm? Blizzard?

Level Planning Outlines, that is.(If that is what it is called.)

Can anyone tell me where can I find documents like that (if any)?

(I apologize if I made grammar or spelling mistakes. I'm still trying to improve my English)

Advertisement

Hi and welcome.

Did you check the articles section of the page? Check the top menu bar, "articles" (third from the left)...

I am pretty sure though, even if you don't find the article the book is talking about, you will get a good response here on the forum if you can ask specific question you want answered. This forum is filled with people knowledgeable about the subject, so do not fear to ask your question.

Of course, keep in mind not many here will have read the chinese version of the book... there might be chinese members on the forum, but most will most probably have read it in a different language (if they have read the book at all). A quick google search turned up this english version: http://www.amazon.de/Ultimate-Game-Design-Building-Worlds/dp/0072228997

Hi and welcome.

Did you check the articles section of the page? Check the top menu bar, "articles" (third from the left)...

I am pretty sure though, even if you don't find the article the book is talking about, you will get a good response here on the forum if you can ask specific question you want answered. This forum is filled with people knowledgeable about the subject, so do not fear to ask your question.

Of course, keep in mind not many here will have read the chinese version of the book... there might be chinese members on the forum, but most will most probably have read it in a different language (if they have read the book at all). A quick google search turned up this english version: http://www.amazon.de/Ultimate-Game-Design-Building-Worlds/dp/0072228997

Thanks a lot! Although I still haven't found what I need in "Articles" so far, I decided to settle here since this is a decent forum with nice people and nice articles. I take a look at the link to Amazon you posted, only to find the price of it is 10 times that of the Chinese version :((which is about 4 EUR) , thanks a lot for your time, though.

Hi and welcome.

Thanks a lot! Although I still haven't found what I need in "Articles" so far, I decided to settle here since this is a decent forum with nice people and nice articles. I take a look at the link to Amazon you posted, only to find the price of it is 10 times that of the Chinese version :((which is about 4 EUR) , thanks a lot for your time, though.

The idea was to provide you with a link to the english version of the book, just so you had a chance to find people here who have the book also when you show the link or image of the book.

Lucky it was the US amazon page, prices are even more outrageous in europe, especially here in switzerland. Especially for books (which is why I often order from the US). Quite the shock for people from asia I guess when they visit europe :)

On the other hand, just state your questions here on the forum, I am sure somebody can help you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement