🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game animation types

Started by
1 comment, last by Matth 8 years, 3 months ago
I am a PhD student and doing my thesis. Currently working over the area of Games Development and Size Estimation particularly board games.
My question is:
1. How do you categorize animations in your work? For example based on the category low level, high level and medium level animation, you specify that this particular animation lies in high level because it needs more effort to write code and has max lines of code as compared to other animations used in the games.
2. What types of animations have you used in the development of your game? Is it fade in, fade out, effects type animations. Or can u give some general names to it. Please specify.
please help me in this regard. I shall be very obliged.
Advertisement

Im not even sure what you are asking. This sounds like a coders perspective to animation and if so you are in the wrong forum.

I suggest reading some material online if you haven't done yourself (I don't know any "general" types of animations).

Is it fade in, fade out, effects type animations.

It depends on your implementation, you can for example develop only the animations without different transitions between each other but this way you have to interpolate the animations. I'd do it in your GLSL/HLSL shader since it is probably the best place to do massive calculations, since the GPU is faster on this type of calculation.

I advice to read http://www.learnopengl.com and other resources here at GameDev.

Hey, have a look at my Telegram channel about programming: www.telegram.me/theprogrammingart

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement