🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Abstracted battles/units (mego-lo-mania style)

Started by
2 comments, last by suliman 8 years, 2 months ago

Hi!

Im working on a design for a 2D RTS. Its similar to the old MegoLoMania in some regards:

> Each scenario consists of sectors in a 6x6 grid.

> Each sector has a terrrain-type such as ocean, plains, forest etc.

> Each sector of suitable terrain can hold a settlement that earns resources and trains units for your armies.

Now, each completed unit will spawn X soldiers (maybe 4) of the trained type (such as spearmen, knights etc) and add that to the "army" of the sector. These are small guys walking around in a 2D side-view. The more soldiers in a sector the denser this group of soldiers will be.

Units have strength values based on terrain (open terrain, rough terrain, city attack, city defense). Enemy units in the same sector will show up in the same view. When close to an enemy a soldier will "animate" such as raising the weapon. Units kill opposing units by ticking down their number based on strength (no actual "sword must hit opponent to deal dmg" is performed).

Now:

1. Would this be too simple a combat system?

2. Do you have another idea how combat could be performed in this stylized setting? (world divided into large sectors, each one a potential city)

Advertisement

Noone? Is the question to vague?

It was a little difficult to follow your text, but I do have these responses.

1. Would this be too simple a combat system.

NO. Simple is best when first making it anyway. Once its built, its far easier to alter/modify a simple system, than a complex. Try it as is. You can always add features later.

- But is it Simple?

- - you are referring to 4 different terrain based values that each unit has strength and weaknesses in.

- - You specified 2 unit types, knights and spearman, but I would assume a whole gamut similar to WarCraft II of foot soldiers, spearman, knights, cavalry, etc... assuming 10+ unit types.

- - You specified terrain types of atleast, but probably more than, 3.

- - The "Simple" you refer to, requires knowledge and understanding of at least 4*10*3, 120 variations that have an effect on a single unit on the battle field, that the player has to manage some how.

- - 120 variations is not what I would call simple.

- That being said, if you are referring to "simple" as the mode of attack, where a unit squad stands in a grid square next to another squad, and wave their weapons to emphasize an attack, no. It is not too simple. There are many popular games that simple say your soldiers went to battle, you lost X blah, and looted X blah.

2. Other ideas.

- I like the basic idea well enough, but I would love to see simple enough things have better effects. I.e. A Catapult actually launches things. Arrows Volley into apposing squads. - - I.e. something that extends this, and makes the effects of fighting spread out farther visually. They can be as cheesy or simple as you want, as long as they are somehow compelling. I.e. Minecraft. Simple cheesy graphics that played out well.

- Regarding the complexity of variations in unit/terrain/attack/move etc, I think it would be a really good idea to look at a strong color palette definition.

- - I.e. Earth bound shows green more, and lower on the units. Water bound shows blue more at the bottom of the units. etc. Better at attack Cities, uses Reds higher on units.

- - Not that those color choices should be chosen in specific, or even to demonstrate that info, but you have so much useful metrics, that if you can start to show it visually, it would be really helpful for the player who just scans the field quickly to get a great idea of what they are up against.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

The simpleness stems from that you simply select some units and place them in a sector and all the fighting is automatic. No aiming, no focus-fire. Yes units will (maybe) have different strength values in different terrains, but thats pretty much it. This is VERY similar to the old game mega-lo-mania.

I dont plan to have many unit-types such as spearmen better against cavalry and so on. Maybe like so:

-Peasants (weak, produce in any city)

-Footmen (medium, produce in castles)

-Knights (strong, produce in high-level castles, maybe attack bonus as well)

Projectile units (like archers and catapults) could look nice in a 2D side-view but im not sure how they would work mechanically since units just swarm around and drain hostiles HP...

The idea behind this is to make animation simple enough for me to complete myself as well as keeping battles more about placement of the armies on the gameworld (the sectors). There is a level of "city management" so it might be good the battles are simple...

Plz keep brainstorming and commenting, I may need it:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement