🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Selective Quote feature removed?

Started by
22 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 7 years, 10 months ago
That's not all. Seems the same issue has broken the gallery :(

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/678072-gallery-not-working/

Sorry to hijack but someone really needs to fix this...
Advertisement

Right now we have to trim back certain features in order to move to IPS version 4. We're in the process of discussing the path going forward but it looks like we will be moving the site more to focus on maintaining a public forum for discussion and making sure that our discussion software encompasses what people need the most. The monolithic version of gamedev.net that contained books, articles, etc etc is going to be trimmed back to favor community discussion.

making sure that our discussion software encompasses what people need the most...

I hate to necro this, but... 'Selective Quote' is one of those things that makes this forum software bearable specifically for discussion.

Without it I've largely stopped quoting other posts (which in turn, makes me less likely to reply to threads at all).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

making sure that our discussion software encompasses what people need the most...

I hate to necro this, but... 'Selective Quote' is one of those things that makes this forum software bearable specifically for discussion.

Without it I've largely stopped quoting other posts (which in turn, makes me less likely to reply to threads at all).

I'll second that.

It wouldn't be so bad if not the editor also sucks for cutting down the qoutes manually.

I've also refrained from posting in some threads because I couldn't quote properly.

I start to reply, try to cut the quotes down, but failing miserably and then just closed the tab in frustration.

Between the lack of selective quote and the miserable and wretched editors (no wrap in raw mode, impossible to use in cooked mode if there's quotes, and sometimes unrecoverable bizarre broken quote closing) participation in community discussion is now being strongly discouraged.

By the time you've finished wrestling with the software to get it to do basic things, you're even more grumpy and curmudgeonly than usual.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Where did it go anyway?

Was selective quote a third party module for the forum software that wasn't compatible with a new version?

If so is there any time line for its devs to bring it up to date?

"No beer or selective quote makes homer go mmm-mmm."
"Go crazy?"
"DON'T MIND IF I DO!!!"

This will take some time to hash out. I don't know why it was removed, where it went, or what's required to get it back.

I'll look at it but no promises.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I'll look at it but no promises.

Selected quote works again. Different module now. Highlight and the hover menu will come up.

I think I know what happened, but that's a topic for another day.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Ohhh that's what that hovering thing was about.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Selected quote works again. Different module now. Highlight and the hover menu will come up.

Khawk for MVP.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement