🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Started by
5 comments, last by chaotrope 7 years, 10 months ago

Hello people,

As you've always provided me with good feedback, I'm posting here for that same reason once again!
I've been working on a simple background theme for a calm village in a classic 2D RPG, and I was wondering what your thoughts are. I personally think the clarinet might still be a bit too loud/harsh when it pops in halfway through, but other than that I'd be very interested to hear what you'd have to say. Thanks in advance!

- The Lost OST

Advertisement

Hi, great piece of music. Sounds really authentic :)

Maybe you could put a kind of an answering bass or some other instrument on the first or second time when the lonely 4th note staccatos are playing. I mean 0:31 being the first time and 0:44 being the second. That's all that picked my ear. The rests stops the fluently of the song just a bit. But it works this way too really well :)

The clarinet wasn't harsh or loud to my ear. Maybe the panning of it is a bit distracting.

Keep up the good work!

-Lassi

Ah, good point, the bass suddenly drops out there doesn't it? Thanks for the input, much appreciated! :)

Because of the tempo of the piece I'd like to hear more legato notes in the bass. I do like the pizz sound you have so I would suggest some legato (bowed sound) parts where the music is mellower and then pizz in the rest, especially for the fast runs.

That said, the tempo is quite slow and doesn't really work for me, it's a bit sleepy. Depending on the software you use you can probably play around with tempo easily and I would suggest seeing how it sounds if you increased the bpm by like 10-20. Anyway, just a thought. Love your melodies throughout :) And no, the clarinet isn't too harsh IMO. It blends very nicely with the rest of the instrumentation.

Comfy track! My feedback would be to try speeding the tempo up just a little bit, and try having more of the plucked notes be held longer, since sometimes there seems to be a bit of emptiness. Great job!

I agree - I feel the tempo is a bit too slow. Either changing the arrangement some to have some longer notes to fill in some of that space or speeding up the tempo some would really help.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Agree with all the other comments. Tempo is probably too slow, as there is a lot of empty space in the track. Maybe add a background drone or something of the sort if you're not comfortable changing the tempo?

The melodies are very catchy and nice to listen to. You have lots of mixture between major and minor, which is something I love doing.

Composer of music for a number of video games, including Deadpour: Tactics and Tuneria, a music-centered RPG. Author of Chaotrope songs on RockBand Network.

Stay up to date with my new music at https://soundcloud.com/chaotrope.

Portfolio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bNwwexPnd0

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement