🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Chinese New Year Theme - Chinese/Ethnic Music

Started by
4 comments, last by shoxart 8 years ago

Here's a Chinese New Year inspired theme I did for Beecave Games. It's always a fun challenge to write music in a style from another culture than yours. It's a tricky balance because you want to honor and accurately portray that culture while making the music your own. (And the music needs to work for the multimedia it's designed for as well.) The artwork was done by the very talented Logynn Hailley! Check out more of her work here: https://www.behance.net/logynn-b-hailley

This is another track that I wrote while employed at Beecave Games. Going back for a new listen, there are some things in the mix that I don't like now. I feel like some of the heavier hits distort a bit and feel the mix, overall, could be more well rounded. Also I feel that the long held string notes are too loud. Too bad I no longer have access to the studio set up and cannot make these changes to the session. Live and learn!

Overall, the composition feels pretty good to me. I'd love to hear your input and feedback as well!

I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement

Feels authentic and I can imagine this playing in some Chinese party with those big parade dragons :)

Maybe the harmony circles a bit too much around the tonic but I don't know if would sound that authentic with more complex harmony. As you mentioned the long strings, maybe they could be quieter but I think I wouldn't have noticed them without mentioning.

Overall, really nice work :)

I think the mix is pretty good. It all sounds very high quality and I like the composition. Some of the string sounds feel a bit long, but other than that it's great.

Thanks to both of you! I appreciate the listens and the input!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I think you have done good job. Keep doing, it is ver nice.

Madsen, it's very okey as you wrote but for me are not enough flute main melody in this song.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement