🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New ad provider?

Started by
8 comments, last by khawk 8 years ago

I've always found that gamedev have had sensible ads showing, and I had the site in my whitelist in adblock, to support the site.

But recently, I'm just getting scammer ads like in the screenshot.

"You have won" and "do this fake competition to win a smartphone" ads

Those aweful borders are also animated...

Have the site recently started using a new ad provider? Ads like those make the whole site look really unprofessional imho...

With ads like that, adblock is now turned on again for this site.

I'm hoping I can turn it off again at a later date.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7206256/scammer_ads.png

Advertisement
I'm just seeing Google ads from the UK but to be honest some of those are just as bad. I has one telling me my phone had a virus and to use some app to clean it.

Google used to be on the ball with ads but I see more and more low down tricks.

Did offering ads to the community not work out?

Edit: I've taken some screenshots of the inappropriate and immature Google ads, and an example of the scummy sites to which they lead. Judge for yourselves... :([attachment=32026:Screenshot_2016-05-28-17-34-25.png][attachment=32027:Screenshot_2016-05-28-17-33-15.png][attachment=32028:Screenshot_2016-05-28-17-35-27.png]
Here's another... Telling me I have new messages.

Highly deceptive, it's lucky that most of our users won't be tricked by them...[attachment=32029:Screenshot_2016-05-28-17-51-17.png]

The google ads I'm getting are usually in context, trying to sell software development resources or services.

The "Aldaniti" ads are though all of them click bait ads, and Aldaniti themselfs is a known spammer company at best. (there is also suspicions of outright fraud)

Gamedev really shouldn't associate with these kinds of networks, it reduces the site's credibility.

(It's also a bit funny how they are of such low quality that they even sometimes misspell their own company name)

The only ad networks we use are Google Adsense and Amazon CPM, both of which should be showing 'relevant' ads. Google Adsense, however, requires manual filtering on occasion to prevent bad ads from showing up. Thanks for reporting these. We'll have to setup the filters so that these don't show.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Note that these ads are targeting mobile resolutions Kevin. Double check the Google setup for all leaderboard resolutions

This is one of the very few sites I have white listed. Lately, however, no ads have been showing up. It then occurred to me that I have Flash blocked. Are all of the ads I'm being served Flash-based? That's a MAJOR security concern!

This is what I'm seeing:

ggqxUHZ.png

From working with them on other sites, Google's AdSense doesn't really have options to disable flash ads.

AdSense has an option for animated images but it lumps all of them together. "Choose whether or not you want to show non-static display (e.g., image) ads, such as ad creatives created using Adobe Flash or animated GIF formats."

I'm still getting "Aldaniti" (sometimes misspelled as "Aldiniti") scam ads.

Also, I'm not using mobile, but the regular site.

These to not have the google ads logo in the corner as you can see on my screenshot in the OP, so I think they are not google ads?

We use Adsense and Amazon CPM. Those aren't Adsense ads, so they must be Amazon. Amazon should provide relevant ads to most users who use Amazon (I see ads for items I have browsed). I'll look into it more - perhaps they provide an alternative network to users with unique situations (maybe no Amazon cookies?).

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement