🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Article section has a formating bug

Started by
1 comment, last by Alberth 8 years ago

Every time I go to edit my article, the server side script seems to mess up my formatting. Then I have to go in and fix it. Here are some of the annoyances I find:

- It automatically wraps my whole article in a <p> tag.

- Often, it deletes or replaces my first tag with a <p> tag. This is particularly annoying if you lead the article with an <h1> tag because the closing </h1> tag is invalidated, which causes it to be rendered in the article.
- I can go through and fix my whole article, get the proper tags just right... and then a week later, for some unknown reason, the tags are broken again. I'm guessing someone else edits the article without checking to see if any of the above mentioned tags broke.

The current workflow is to write the article in a separate notepad document, with the correct tags. Then you copy/paste the article and hit submit. If you need to make any edits, you have to do it in your notepad document because making and edits in the website will cause the server side script to inject or overwrite the tags mentioned above and you get mismatched tags and broken formatting.

Advertisement

Yes, this is known and very annoying, especially for editing before it goes in the queue.

If you get your article to a "good enough" state, we will edit the tags to get formatting. If anything isn't clear we'll contact you. There are some nuances you can work around, but you kind of have to know what to do and it's not easy enough to lay out all those nuances here.

Also looking at replacing the editor..

Admin for GameDev.net.

I wouldn't mind writing an article in my ASCII editor, and then upload it all.

The biggest hurdle so far is that half the tags use html syntax with triangular brackets, and the other half uses bbcode syntax with square brackets, but I don't know which half goes where, nor have I been able to find a list of the tags yet.

Throwing the whole thing out and switching to a some standard wiki-ish markup language. like mark-down, asciidoc, up to restructuredtext would work too.

I don't have much need to see the online version, but I can imagine some people would like that, which would require a conversion script of some kind. Converting to html seems the simplest (could do it in 'sed' mostly already :p ). If you use a standard wiki language, there are usually also conversion tools for it too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement