🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unified Particle Physics Modelling

Started by
0 comments, last by adriansnetlis 7 years, 11 months ago

Unified Particle Physics Modelling - Team Request

Hello! I have decided to start working on advanced unified particle physics engine. Currently I will use Blender Game Engine as working environment and code pure math. I'll use BGE to visualize. Later I plan to create open-source libraries for everyone. So what I plan to make is something a bit similar to NVIDIA FleX. The basic planned features are:

• Soft body physics
  • Rigid body physics(using high-stiffness soft body base for unified system)
  • Liquid dynamics
  • Gas dynamics
  • Substance constructions, temperature dynamics

I plan to use spring-mass based system where springs do several tasks:

• Keeps objects together(pulls particles to each other, but when they're too close, pushes away, that way always tens to preserve shape)
  • Pushes objects against each other(when particles make contact, creates contact springs which often are very compressed on impact that they push at huge force breaking theirselves again and making object bounce)
  • Produces friction(the contact springs which I mentioned above are not just making sure that objects bounce - if they don't break, they can also hold them together)

Of course, in real life there are no springs. The springs are used to simulate the energetic links between atoms. And we, of course, won't use billions of atoms per-object. Instead, it will be like 200 or 500 particles for object, around that way. Also note that there won't be any objects. The particles will just make one big mess(world). They'll have some heat energy given(which they can transfer to colder particles and cause melting/steaming while freezing themselves). They will also be able to stick together(and the hotter the particle is, the less stable it is meaning that it can easier break it's links or create new ones). This will simulate melting, reshaping and freezing nicely(allowing for some cool glass craftsmen or metal industry simulations). Also the adhesion of particles will be each different - some will be stickier(like honey) and will create more stable links easier.

Overall I expect it to be something cool. However, I can't do this alone. For this to work I really need help of skilled community. There are many things that I am still not sure how to accomplish. So I hope that somebody will be here to help.

Some things that I may use, but I am not sure how to use yet:

• Position Based Dynamics
  • Energy tracking(for correct energy conservation and heat->motion/motion->heat energy transitions(and maybe we'll add more energy types in later ;) ))
  • Collision detection(it's hard to decide what will meet both - performance and accuracy)

I really hope that somebody is interested in building something this huge. I will need lots of help and I hope that you will help me.

Let's give a new power to game development.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project Partics

Find it on github.

Advertisement

I have set up a git for this project:

https://github.com/Adris3D/Partics

I'm open for your opinions - what should I change in the planning of the project?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement