🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking For Feedback On Towards The Pantheon's Demos!

Started by
5 comments, last by QFuss 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey, I'm currently working on sound design for my game Towards The Pantheon, and was wondering if you guys had any feedback on the demos based on the screenshots you can find here.

https://soundcloud.com/connor-ort-linning-wip/sets/towards-the-pantheon-demos

Does it sound too modern or does it fit? Any recommendations as to some VSTs and patches you think might fit the art style more?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Hi there,

Every track sounds nice by themselves but the spectrum is a bit too broad IMHO. You have orchestral tracks, ambient, retro/chiptune etc. Maybe you could narrow down the instrumentation and style a bit. If you want it to sound chiptune, do it. If you want it to sound orchestral, do it that way. I'm not sure if It would feel awkward when playing the actual game but listened like this I feel it.

Broderskap: I don't like the volume swells on the strings. They're too extreme and doesn't sound natural. Maybe a softer swell could be ok.

Battle in the sewers: The clap snare (and hat) is too dance for me. When it fades away the track sounds better. Maybe it works in some parts but mostly sounds too different from other tracks.

Six Six Five: The high squeal is really extreme. Try to EQ it a bit.

I usually do one or a few tracks for a game and nail down the general soundscape and feel with those tracks. Then it's easy to use mostly the same instrumentation for the whole game. Of course different moods might need some special instruments but generally the whole soundtrack should sound quite whole.

Keep on the good work :)

Thank you for your feedback Kasu-_-, I appreciate it and will keep it in mind the next time I work on the music for the game!

Thank you for your feedback Kasu-_-, I appreciate it and will keep it in mind the next time I work on the music for the game!

BTW. Sometimes when I read something I've written as a constructive feedback a while ago I think, how could I've been so harsh and negative. Hope you didn't feel that way :) It was meant to be only constructive and supportive :)

BTW. Sometimes when I read something I've written as a constructive feedback a while ago I think, how could I've been so harsh and negative. Hope you didn't feel that way :) It was meant to be only constructive and supportive :)

Even if it is harsh and negative (yours wasn't :) ) I don't take it personally and just look at the criticism and think about whether I agree and should apply it. All constructive criticism (even if it is sometimes harsh and negative) can be helpful!

I'm a fan of your sewer battle track. I think all the instruments you used were perfect, except that higher synth that comes in periodically. Something more distorted, impure, if you know what I mean, to capture the grossness of the sewer. You also have these almost heavenly strings droning in the background that you could consider changing to something harsher. Instrument choice is something important a lot of composers forget about, in my opinion.

Composer of music for a number of video games, including Deadpour: Tactics and Tuneria, a music-centered RPG. Author of Chaotrope songs on RockBand Network.

Stay up to date with my new music at https://soundcloud.com/chaotrope.

Portfolio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bNwwexPnd0

Hi ConnorORT,

I like your songlist for this game.

I understand you are trying to combine old 8bit style music with modern of which you have both in your list.

Maybe you can exploit this a little bit more by using some FM synthesizer VST? like - JuceOPLVSTi:

- http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2015/10/28/juceoplvsti-vst/ (for more info on this VST)

I especially like your track "Battle In The Sewers"

Listening to your track "Nightshade" I find the sounds of the light bells starting to get a little piercing after a while? maybe some EQ on them? (was listening through headphones)

Some of your tracks have amazing deep Bass sounds. I hope these sounds will be reproduced by de soundsystems of the players (maybe some consideration in production?)

Keep up the good work, I think you have a great creation here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement