🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GDNet+ ads

Started by
10 comments, last by khawk 7 years, 8 months ago
Just recently I always glimpse a GDNet ad when changing pages. I want to look at it, but when I go back it's obviously replaced by a different ad.

Would be a neat feature if you could toggle through GDNet+ originating ads, as a bonus for home supporters.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Advertisement

Just recently I always glimpse a GDNet ad when changing pages. I want to look at it, but when I go back it's obviously replaced by a different ad.

Would be a neat feature if you could toggle through GDNet+ originating ads, as a bonus for home supporters.

Why not just have a page with all the GDNet+ ads?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I think that would be a cool thing.

It would allow people that are interested in seeing what GDNet+ Developers are working on.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

It would allow people that are interested in seeing what GDNet+ Developers are working on.

Which is sort of what the old IOTD was.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Which is sort of what the old IOTD was.

There are a few ways we'll be looking to do this in the future as we make changes to improve the platform for you. Addressing the IOTD, looking at Showcases, and more are all part of that plan.

Having said that, a "GDNet+ Showcase" of some kind isn't a bad idea..

Admin for GameDev.net.

So the new ad banner is cool. Not intrusive at all. But it does give interesting ads... that are not game-dev related. Such as: Harlequin Presents Oct 2016 - The Spaniard's Pregnant Bride. :lol: I don't know if these ads have the ability to be tweaked. But I figured I'd make someone aware of it.

NOTE: I was not logged in at the time this ad was shown.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

We made a change this weekend in an attempt to serve ads that are more relevant and hopefully generate a commission from any purchases you make after seeing the ad through us. As a start, you'll see products from Amazon that are relevant to the topic of the page in concert with a user's Amazon history - so if you're seeing something about pregnant brides then it's possible Amazon thought that was the most relevant topic for the page and/or relevant to your purchase history (or whatever algorithm they use to make recommendations). This should improve over time as the ad system learns more about the pages.

FWIW, I saw something similar while testing in a Lounge thread. And on this page I'm seeing YouTube marketing related books and videos.

We've signed up with more affiliate programs related to gaming, computers, etc. so hopefully ad relevancy will continue to improve.

Admin for GameDev.net.

So the new ad banner is cool. Not intrusive at all. But it does give interesting ads... that are not game-dev related. Such as: Harlequin Presents Oct 2016 - The Spaniard's Pregnant Bride. :lol: I don't know if these ads have the ability to be tweaked. But I figured I'd make someone aware of it.

NOTE: I was not logged in at the time this ad was shown.

They're based on google's algorithm for personalized ads (which doesn't require you to be logged in to anything). What other pages have you (or someone who uses your PC) been looking at recently? :P

Well, I removed my advertising id from Google and continually reset it so they can't really serve me relevant ads.

As such I get random junk like dentistry, advertising delivery services, and kids cartoons.

I'd love to go back to just having gdnet+ adverts as I always would click them.

It's a shame they probably don't make as much.

I'd also happily pay a subscription of perhaps a few dollars a month to turn off the ads or just replace them entirely with only gdnet+ ads.

The balls in your court :)

Well, I removed my advertising id from Google and continually reset it so they can't really serve me relevant ads.

As such I get random junk like dentistry, advertising delivery services, and kids cartoons.

I'd love to go back to just having gdnet+ adverts as I always would click them.

It's a shame they probably don't make as much.

I'd also happily pay a subscription of perhaps a few dollars a month to turn off the ads or just replace them entirely with only gdnet+ ads.

The balls in your court :)

GDNet+ ads don't generate revenue. GDNet+ does (ability to post ads is a perk), but it isn't enough yet.

The new ads we're displaying for Amazon and soon more affiliates are worthwhile if people click and purchase through them. These are being tailored to the content on the page - they are not being tailored for you personally.

As mentioned before, we're looking at the no-ads option. We aren't Reddit size (re: reddit gold), so it'll have to be priced at more than a few bucks a month to make it viable, which may or may not make it worthwhile for many users.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement