🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

thread closure probably not the best action

Started by
13 comments, last by jpetrie 7 years, 8 months ago

It kind of makes no sense when the actions of one or two people who could have been warned would have been better rather than closing the thread on the vast majority of well behaved users

I am referring to the recently closed thread in the lounge. And sometimes things get really really inconsistent with the mods. I experienced this inconsistency first hand several months ago when bizarrely the Islamaphobia thread was never closed despite deep insults flying on and on and on.... almost forever, but approximately the same time @frob quickly shut down a thread I started, after some mild queries, adding a bizarre note with the closure. I went into a fury of PMs with frob and Josh, but i'm not here to dig up that pandora box again ....

... but only to suggest that in cases like the recently closed thread in the lounge where only one or two people were using insulting words - wouldn't it have been better to warn or eject those involved since the majority of contributors in the thread were well behaved?

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement

It looked to me like most of the replies in the last page were calling each other idiots, or heavily implying that, and I don't think that's what the Lounge is there for.

In this case, I think the thread closure was okay to do and a sufficient explanation was provided. At 22 pages, that's a lot of thread, and since the election scenario has changed since it was originally created perhaps a new thread is even more justified?

Certainly no issues over the topic as long as it stays civil. In fact, I think we should encourage civil debate and hope to see a new thread soon.

Admin for GameDev.net.

My personal opinion (ie not official moderation policy) is that political threads are allowed to remain active completely at the discretion and pleasure of the moderators, and that no one has any right to complain when they're closed down. That said -

wouldn't it have been better to warn or eject those involved since the majority of contributors in the thread were well behaved?

I don't know what thread YOU were reading, but the thread I was reading was garbage. "Well behaved"? I prefer "not technically against the rules". Besides, even if the discussion was still active, nobody in there has said anything vaguely intelligent in some time, it's just been childish sniping back and forth.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I don't know what thread YOU were reading, but the thread I was reading was garbage. "Well behaved"? I prefer "not technically against the rules". Besides, even if the discussion was still active, nobody in there has said anything vaguely intelligent in some time, it's just been childish sniping back and forth.

I will have to concede to you here because i read probably only about 50%-60% of the posts in the thread

My personal opinion (ie not official moderation policy) is that political threads are allowed to remain active completely at the discretion and pleasure of the moderators, and that no one has any right to complain when they're closed down. That said -

I agree, since a complain culture would tend to undermine the authority of moderators, but my original post is more of a suggestion rather than a complain

I don't see many closed threads here, but generally when a thread is closed it has run its course anyway, quite naturally.

Generally when a thread is 22 pages long everything that can be said has been discussed and as the length of any thread increases the probability of rational conversation tends towards zero.

Just my 2 pence worth...

In my long years of experience moderating here, I have found that surgical moderation to threads to try to trim "only the bad parts" has a success rate that is inversely correlated with the length of the thread. 22 pages of thread is certainly long enough that I think it wasn't worth trying; instead of having this discussion here, we'd be having in that thread in a response to whatever moderation was done and posted about in the thread, and it would veer off-topic and eventually get closed anyway. I think that this discussion is far more productive when had here, on its own, rather than in the thread where it must necessarily compete with the topic of the thread itself.

I'm impressed that it survived as long as it did. These topics tend to derail fast :).

@spinningcubes | Blog: Spinningcubes.com | Gamedev notes: GameDev Pensieve | Spinningcubes on Youtube

A thing just popped into my head now, how about allowing up/down votes in the lounge? I think this will restore sanity to lounge discussions and discourage flamewars

Or try for a few months, if it works retain, if it doesn't scrap

A thing just popped into my head now, how about allowing up/down votes in the lounge? I think this will restore sanity to lounge discussions and discourage flamewars

Up/down votes were once allowed in the lounge. If I recall correctly, the feature was intentionally removed because it not only didn't restore sanity, but ratings were caught in the cross-fire. People would downvote people they disagreed with, rather than bad posts.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement