🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Value of making Radio plays?

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 7 years, 8 months ago

Hey guys,

So, We're looking into making a core cannon for our game, and I'd like to have us do audio performances.

The process goes like this:

1. Write story in prose

2. convert prose to scripts

3. Get Voice actors to play the parts

4. Add SfX

5. Release to community

It's been brought to my attention that that's a lot of work, and prose might do our narrative justice, better than the scripts, or the radio plays.

So,

I'm wondering what yall think would the the pros and cons of doing this, VS. just releasing written prose?

What do you think would get a better reception, and more traffic?

Keep in mind, we also will have concept artists enhance the experience.

Any other options in presenting story?

Me and the dpt. have been going back and forth.

If any of yall know what the market for audio narrative is, that also be helpful with the cost Benefit analysis

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Advertisement

So, We're looking into making a core cannon [sic] for our game, and I'd like to have us do audio
performances.
The process goes like this:
1. Write story in pros

What? What is "pros"? Is that short for a longer word?

2. convert pros to scripts
3. Get Voice actors to play the parts
4. Add SfX
5. Release to community

Release where? As what? On your site? As in, "this is a teaser audio story for our upcoming game, stay
tuned for more"? Or on YouTube as a similar marketing tool? Your subject line suggests you want to sell
radio plays (podcasts?) - as a tool to market your game?

I'm wondering what yall think would the the pros and cons of doing this, VS. just releasing written
pros?

See, I'm familiar with the first "pros" there, but I don't understand what the second "pros" means.

What do you think would get a better reception, and more traffic?

Still unclear what you're trying to do, what kind of traffic you're after.

If any of yall know what the market for audio narrative is, that also be helpful with the cost Benefit
analysis

"The market for audio narrative"? Can you clarify? As in, do podcasts make money? Also, did you mean to
post this in the Music And Sound forum instead of the Writing forum?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1. Write story in prose
I'm wondering what yall think would the the pros and cons of doing this, VS. just releasing written prose?

Okay, so you found my response.
It's obvious that turning prose into a podcast is a lot of work, and expense.
Other than that, it's still unclear what you want your canon to accomplish (besides serving as canon for
the team to work from).
Posting a written story isn't going to directly earn any money, is it? It might generate a little interest
for your upcoming game, among any potential players who might have the patience to read it.
Posting audio stories likely also isn't going to directly earn any money - but could possibly generate
a lot more interest in your game, if they're well done.

Ok,

Edited OP, my bad.

A. "Prose is a form of language that has no formal metrical structure. It applies a natural flow of speech, and ordinary grammatical structure rather than rhythmic structure, such as in the case of traditional poetry. Normal every day speech is spoken in prose and most people think and write in prose form." -Google.

B. Releasing on our website & on youtube, as a way of getting people engaged.

C. The question at hand, is if going to the effort of making narrative in an audio format is worth the effort?

D. If there is a market (in terms of people who want this style of content, not in terms of selling. (We're not selling in monetary terms at all)

E. Well, I thought this would be more fitting in writing, since it's more a question of the popularity of this kind of narrative format, than the technicalities of producing the content itself.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Dude, I know what "prose" means. I guess we were writing our posts at the same time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement