🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

help me think of cultures for my world

Started by
29 comments, last by conquestor3 7 years, 8 months ago

The main reason for the list is because the idea is it's gonna be a big world that I can have multiple games set in (Like elderscrolls) and possibly books (like ASOIAF)
Then you need empty spaces in your world design. A list of places, cultures, races etc. is negative work: you spend effort to constrain your future creations without need, while you should instead design one game at a time leaving the rest of the world open for further developments.

For example, take the Warcraft franchise, which shares a kitchen sink approach to race selection with your notes. The RTS games are about orcs and humans, with elves, ogres, dwarves, trolls etc. as less detailed allies, and they care only about the military aspect of their cultures. The recent film is even more focused on orcs and humans only, and on very specific groups of each (a couple of special orc tribes, the king's court and the wizards, etc.). World of Warcraft adds less traditional, if not exotic, new races to add novel character build options and interesting enemies, not simply because they are cool.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Advertisement

The main reason for the list is because the idea is it's gonna be a big world that I can have multiple games set in (Like elderscrolls) and possibly books (like ASOIAF)
Then you need empty spaces in your world design. A list of places, cultures, races etc. is negative work: you spend effort to constrain your future creations without need, while you should instead design one game at a time leaving the rest of the world open for further developments.

For example, take the Warcraft franchise, which shares a kitchen sink approach to race selection with your notes. The RTS games are about orcs and humans, with elves, ogres, dwarves, trolls etc. as less detailed allies, and they care only about the military aspect of their cultures. The recent film is even more focused on orcs and humans only, and on very specific groups of each (a couple of special orc tribes, the king's court and the wizards, etc.). World of Warcraft adds less traditional, if not exotic, new races to add novel character build options and interesting enemies, not simply because they are cool.

designing the world was kind of soo I could like look at a list of the nations and see which one i found best to set my first game in aswell

Also to give people more of a idea about the continents since I think I should've done that from the start

Antikos: Similar to like Africa and the Middle East

Daishan: Asia

Aegir: Northern Europe, Scandinavia etc

Norharr: Not sure what it'd be similar to on Earth, perhaps the further north areas of North America

Gorash: Not really similar to places on Earth too much

The Northern Kingdoms: Maybe Western Europe

Aranar: Sort of Southern Europe in a way

Kydar: Not really like anywhere on Earth

So you want multiple cultures for each race? You can just create a great list by creating an axis around which each race spins, and then putting sub cultures along these axes:

Antikos
Human - Exploration Centric: each person a culture of one
Orc - War-Centric: warrior culture, mount culture, war machine culture
Daishan
Elf - Magic-Centric: Black Magic culture, white magic culture, grey cultures
Dark Elf - Nature Centric: forest cultures, mountain cultures, water cultures
Gorash
Dwarf - Science Centric: steampunk culture, technomage culture, metalworking culture
Gnome - Tradition centric: chivilary culture, agricultural culture, familial culture
Aegir
Goblin - Money centric: anarchist culture, merchant culture, theif culture
Lizardfolk - Hive centric: hive mind culture
Norharr
Catfolk - Self centric: anarchist culture, non-culture, xenophobic culture
Bullfolk - Leisure centric: vacation spot culture, amnesiac culture
Kydar
Ogre - Death centric: berserker culture, disease-based culture

But that's just a list. A list is not a game. You can create a list of 100 nations, but... how is that relevant to your game? How do the players feel the the Catfolk's anarchist nation vs their xenophobic nation? More importantly, does it make what's fun about your game more fun? You say you need this list, but I can't for the life of me imagine why.

You don't need a big meaningless world to set multiple games or books in. And that's even more reason why we cannot do this for you, much less ahead of time. What are the plots of these books and games? What countries/cultures are needed to make it most interesting? What themes are these games/books addressing?

Meaningless lists are meaningless. You can create a huuuuge game. With all these different biomes and cultures and whatnot, but if there's no meaningful *reason* to go from one country to another, then you've just got another No Man's Sky. Trillions of planets, but once you've seen five of them, you've seen them all.

So if you want people to give you some kind of list, give them a chance to not waste their time doing it. What does this world *need* in order to be *interesting.* If really all you need is big, then use a random generator, like this one: http://chaoticshiny.com/civgen.php and generate all the countries/cultures you like. You can have hundreds of thousands of cultures in your world, not unlike our real world.

So if you want people to give you some kind of list, give them a chance to not waste their time doing it. What does this world *need* in order to be *interesting.*

A very important point. We have heard nothing at all about what game do you plan to make, so the amount of advice we can give about appropriate places and cultures for it and about leaving enough space around them to add further games is zero. We are stuck at the general principle of not masturbating with meaningless details.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

So if you want people to give you some kind of list, give them a chance to not waste their time doing it. What does this world *need* in order to be *interesting.*

A very important point. We have heard nothing at all about what game do you plan to make, so the amount of advice we can give about appropriate places and cultures for it and about leaving enough space around them to add further games is zero. We are stuck at the general principle of not masturbating with meaningless details.

Well thought I hope to one day have a MMO in my world the first game is planned to be a 2d open world rpg like a 2d elderscrolls but I'm struggling with where I want to set it I'm stuck between a desert setting, a pirate setting, and a gothic horror not-transylvania style setting, I think at some point when the world's more fleshed out I'll do a poll.

Well thought I hope to one day have a MMO in my world the first game is planned to be a 2d open world rpg like a 2d elderscrolls but I'm struggling with where I want to set it I'm stuck between a desert setting, a pirate setting, and a gothic horror not-transylvania style setting, I think at some point when the world's more fleshed out I'll do a poll.

I don't understand. Why does the world need to be fleshed out for you to put up this poll? Couldn't you do that at any time, even now? And further, what's stopping you from doing a desert gothic pirate setting?

The information you've given so far is that you want it to be open world like Elder Scrolls, but Elder Scrolls didn't have dozens of cultures.

I'm sure you have a reason you want to generate a bunch of cultures, but I don't think you've told it to us. If you want to make a poll and do Elder Scrolls, you already have all the cultures you need. Maybe you could start by sharing why the random generator I shared with you doesn't solve your problem?

I don't understand. Why does the world need to be fleshed out for you to put up this poll? Couldn't you do that at any time, even now? And further, what's stopping you from doing a desert gothic pirate setting?

The information you've given so far is that you want it to be open world like Elder Scrolls, but Elder Scrolls didn't have dozens of cultures.

I'm sure you have a reason you want to generate a bunch of cultures, but I don't think you've told it to us. If you want to make a poll and do Elder Scrolls, you already have all the cultures you need. Maybe you could start by sharing why the random generator I shared with you doesn't solve your problem?

the cultures with the generator seem to fit either medieval or modern, not my time setting. And the reason for multiple cultures is to actually have quite a few in the world since I didn't want each race just having like one culture like in a lot of fantasy worlds.

the first game is planned to be a 2d open world rpg like a 2d elderscrolls but I'm struggling with where I want to set it I'm stuck between a desert setting, a pirate setting, and a gothic horror not-transylvania style setting,

You have three setting ideas. Which one is best? No poll will tell you, and designing other places and cultures at random adds choices without helping with a decision. Instead, figure out what's best for your game:

• Which settings promise good-looking graphics? Gothic horror traditionally has creepy buildings and even more creepy interiors, pirates need ships and water, desert is going to need rocks and bushes: vastly different scenery that requires prototypes and mock-ups to learn what looks good or not.
  • Which settings provide a better fit with the RPG's story? Gothic horror is a genre by itself, pirates usually do a lot of piracy, desert tends to have less characters than other places.
  • Which settings are suitable for game mechanics and situations? For example, let's suppose combat is meant to consist of mostly not lethal and usually evenly balanced one on one duels that end at the first serious wound, with appropriate game rules: pirates with swords and less guns than normal are a good fit (potentially long exchanges until someone makes a mistake), while villains and monsters against damsels in distress in a Gothic horror situation are not

There are other design considerations like these, but what's important is that your game is going to shape the cultures and places of your setting and what you show of them, not vice versa.

Do you discover that in your graphics experiments interiors look very good but outdoor scenes have bad proportions? You might think of setting the whole game inside a large building complex, e.g. a royal palace. Do you need to reduce guns? An ancient or early medieval technology level might become an important general feature of the whole game world. Do you need two rival mainland countries, three large islands and four medium ones for your pirates? Draw the appropriate archipelago on the map and ignore all other continents. Do you need something supernatural in your Gothic horror? It should be the only visible fantasy element in the world, instead of pointless races that nobody ever sees.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

the first game is planned to be a 2d open world rpg like a 2d elderscrolls but I'm struggling with where I want to set it I'm stuck between a desert setting, a pirate setting, and a gothic horror not-transylvania style setting,

You have three setting ideas. Which one is best? No poll will tell you, and designing other places and cultures at random adds choices without helping with a decision. Instead, figure out what's best for your game:

• Which settings promise good-looking graphics? Gothic horror traditionally has creepy buildings and even more creepy interiors, pirates need ships and water, desert is going to need rocks and bushes: vastly different scenery that requires prototypes and mock-ups to learn what looks good or not.
  • Which settings provide a better fit with the RPG's story? Gothic horror is a genre by itself, pirates usually do a lot of piracy, desert tends to have less characters than other places.
  • Which settings are suitable for game mechanics and situations? For example, let's suppose combat is meant to consist of mostly not lethal and usually evenly balanced one on one duels that end at the first serious wound, with appropriate game rules: pirates with swords and less guns than normal are a good fit (potentially long exchanges until someone makes a mistake), while villains and monsters against damsels in distress in a Gothic horror situation are not

There are other design considerations like these, but what's important is that your game is going to shape the cultures and places of your setting and what you show of them, not vice versa.

Do you discover that in your graphics experiments interiors look very good but outdoor scenes have bad proportions? You might think of setting the whole game inside a large building complex, e.g. a royal palace. Do you need to reduce guns? An ancient or early medieval technology level might become an important general feature of the whole game world. Do you need two rival mainland countries, three large islands and four medium ones for your pirates? Draw the appropriate archipelago on the map and ignore all other continents. Do you need something supernatural in your Gothic horror? It should be the only visible fantasy element in the world, instead of pointless races that nobody ever sees.

The races are partly for customization but I don't need loads for that but also the reason for other cultures and things is because like I wanted it to be like in the elder scrolls games where you can find ingame books etc or other NPCs you talk to might mention things about their homeland

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement