🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Malicious looking ad

Started by
9 comments, last by khawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Upon visiting this thread, I was greeted with my entire browser turning into a giant red warning screen that was obviously trying to mimic an antivirus. I've seen this a couple of times now, but this time I got a screenshot of the dialog it pops up:

wtf.png

Anyone else seeing this?

Advertisement
If you happen to catch the banner ad(s) showing when you see this, please let me know. Meanwhile we'll try to find the offending ad and remove it.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I'll try to reproduce this on my other PC and see if I can catch it

EDIT: I find one similar problem in a post from about 5 months earlier on different forum

"Two plus two equals five ... for extremely large values of two."

I just got this about a minute ago. I don't believe I clicked anything as I was focused on my other two monitors. (Though I may have left my cursor on my monitor with the offending web page and accidentally clicked.)

That's troubling. So far no luck finding it, but we'll keep looking.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I've been getting it too. and no, you don't click anything, its an auto-redirect of some sort.

I'll be typing in a response and all a sudden BAM! "Warning!...."

Sometimes 3 or 4 times during a single reply.

Sometimes i have to close the tab and start over.

I'm not sure its gamedev related, it might just be some adware.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

I'm not sure its gamedev related, it might just be some adware.

I'm pretty sure I've only seen the auto-redirect on certain sites, though, and both of them were forums with ad bars. On one of them it was a survey page that took over, on GDNet it was the fake malware scanner.

FWIW I got a similar popup when visiting a very popular social/news site yesterday. I think some of these are sneaking into Google Adsense (which that site also uses), but I haven't had any luck finding it in the ad review tools.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I got a redirect to a warning page saying i had a virus and not to do any shopping until i called their 'service', with an auth box that trys to keep you locked out of all browser functionality.

from...
Decent engine for Top-down games? - Game Programming - GameDev.net
to (don't click unless you want grief)

that page redirected me again, so ymmv

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

GDNet site is getting really scary now, while reading this thread on my mobile, i also got this

[attachment=33785:ad gdnet.jpg]

[attachment=33786:ad gdnet2.jpg]

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement