🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Turn-based strategy combat system prototype

Started by
3 comments, last by Sneaky_Seal 7 years, 5 months ago

Hello dear colleagues!

I'm not sure if it is the right forum to place such topic (if not, tell me, please, where would it fit better), but I need your help in one thing. The studio where I work in is currently develops its very first game named Ash of Gods which supposed to be a tactical RPG with elements of a card game. We have a combat system prototype ready and currently we're testing it, inviting all the people, who have the wish and time. However, most of the people who already have tried it out, aren't professional game developers who are able to notice and point out even the smallest oversights from the technical part of view. So, I would like to ask you to check out this prototype and look which things could be done better. Thank you for any feedback.

The link to the prototype: http://game.aurumdust.com/ For deeper experience it requires second player, so you can contact me on Facebook (Tony Vilgotsky) and I will be your companion.

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread
Advertisement

Most of your aduanice won't be programmers neither game developers. Make what's fun, not what technicalliy correct.

Technically speaking you'll need automated tests if you want to see that your "battlefield" is alright- These are just simple tests, to see if your game mechanics work.

If you want us to test the actual battlefield, make npcs, because nobody is going to(probably) send you a message just to test your game.

8799989.png

First of all - Ash of Gods will have turn-based combat that will take place in various moments during the playthrough on dedicated battlefields. Here is some information about it:
  1. We're developing our own ruleset with some unique and (hopefully) exciting mechanics
  2. We do not have RND, so no rolls and hit/miss chances.
  3. Besides the characters in his party the player can use powerful cards during the battle.
  4. Each character has only 3 basic parameters
    HP - health points, once it reaches 0 the char dies;
    MP - energy points, they are used for special moves and rushing across the tactical field. Once it reaches 0 - any further damage toward MP will deal x2 towards HP;
    AT - attack, servers as the base parameter for skills.
  5. Any attack can be aimed at either opponent's HP or MP.
  6. Powerful attack use HP points (and not only for a berserker or a blood mage but across many of the classes).

If you don't mind to read long articles - you can read about the process of creating the combat system on our website https://ashofgods.com/news/new-approach-to-turn-based-strategies/ (or should I share it here?). You can also get your hands on the prototype and check it out for yourself here http://game.aurumdust.com/. It has very limited UI and player support so it's pretty hardcore at this point, but we will greatly appreciate if you give it a shot and share some feedback here. Beware that there is no AI yet, so you can do 1 out of the 3 things:

• Open it in 2 browser tabs and play with yourself (we don't judge);
  • If you happen to have a friend - send him the link and fight against him;
  • I'd be happy to play against you - so just shoot me a PM with the time that you'd like to give it a shot.

As always - feel free to ask me anything about it (ie classes, skills, mechanics, etc.)

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread

Why is it "Ash of Gods"? Shouldn't it be "Ashes of Gods" if you are trying to say that gods died and only ashes of them are left?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Why is it "Ash of Gods"? Shouldn't it be "Ashes of Gods" if you are trying to say that gods died and only ashes of them are left?

Since original plot is written in Russian, the title "Ash of Gods" reflects the initial idea better than "Ashes".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement