🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Doing audio for an open source game?

Started by
1 comment, last by nsmadsen 7 years, 8 months ago

Hello!

I'm relatively new to the game development world so don't know too much about how everything works yet. What I do know very well is sound design and music composition so I'm wondering if there any open source video games out there which allow me to edit and replace the entire games audio.

If so, what software might I need to be able implement my audio into such a video game?

Any information regarding this would help me out a lot as it's something I'm thinking of doing for a college project and can add to my portfolio.

All the best,

C

Advertisement

You could check out some of the Wwise tutorials on integrating audio in to games:

https://www.audiokinetic.com/library/2016.1.0_5775/?source=Cube&id=idm1504244064

I don't know of any open source games, but this would be a reasonable starting point.

+1 for Wwise and I'd add to that, learn Fmod as well. Both are free to devs unless you publish something. So you could grab both and start learning. Wwise has a tutorial project of sorts but I don't know if Fmod does. Also Unity has a few tutorial projects and has it's own audio engine that you could study.

Hope that helps!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement