🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGL vs. DirectX Q#

Started by
4 comments, last by Fyre_dragenn 22 years, 7 months ago
Hey there all! you have to bear with me because l know a lot of programming info but never programmed. Can you please answer me two questions: Is OpenGl used to program games (Nintendo, Xbox...) and how many platforms is it implememnted on? And if not what do they use to accelerate graphics!
Advertisement
Check da FAQ !
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
As far as im aware, the XBox software is written using DX, but that I guess is because its a Microsoft thing. I have no idea about the other consoles.
OpenGL is ONLY available under Windows, *nix and MacOS.
DirectX is ONLY available under Windows (and probably the XBox too, but I don''t have a XDK so i don''t really know )
the Gamecube, PSX and PS2 have their own APIs, and they all have their own specific compilers aswell. (So you actually can forget building any games for these platforms since these SDKs cost a lot of cash, unless you got some friends in the industry )

Hope this answers your question.

quote: Original post by mindcrash
OpenGL is ONLY available under Windows, *nix and MacOS.

And BeOS, PS2, and possibly soon on the XBox (Ive heard that it IS available on XBox currently, and also that the libraries arent available for it)
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
OpenGL is available on PS2 and XBOX, and any other platform it''s implemented on. non O/S specific 3D API.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement