🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Programmer with passion for JRPGs seeks Artist

Started by
2 comments, last by Poskusin 7 years, 7 months ago

Hello everyone!

I'm a capable programmer looking for an equally capable and passionate artist to develop a top down jRPG or similar game. I would like to work with someone who is willing to help brainstorm, design and bring to life a classic that will bring nostalgic gamers back to their childhoods.

I would like to market and sell the game when completed, but I am more interested in creating something we can be proud of.

I'll be developing in java using the libgdx opensource library. This will allow portability to desktop, mobile and possibly even web.

I like many am inspired by early games such as Sword of Vermillion, Shining Force, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire, Harvest Moon and so many more. If it sounds like we might click, send me a pm.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Advertisement

hello, we are a new team building a MMORPG, would u like to join us? if so e-mail me at: jgakamix@gmail.com

JRPGs tend to have a lot of art, too much for a single artist. So you may want to look for 2 or even 3. Non-pro artists also tend to have strong areas and weak areas, so it's best to have each artist work on only what they are good at. You just have to divide responsibilities such that contrasting styles aren't a problem - like having one do maps and backgrounds, and another do monsters. It can look bad if you have multiple artists doing the same type of thing, because their styles won't be identical.

Me, I love JRPGs, except the oldest ones I like are PS1 games like FF7, Vagrant Story, and Azure Dreams, and those are all 25D or 3D. I love the Harvest Moon series, but those were like... 2.5D? Depends which one; I'd probably go with Magical Melody if I were going to emulate one's perspective and tile system. But more modern JRPGs like Okami and Disgaea are also appealing examples that I'd want to consider when designing a JRPG. I'd be a hard sell to convince me to work on a fully 2D JRPG, though I'm primarily a designer anyway, and you might not even be interested in having a co-desiger. But anyway, if you want some feedback on your story or game design, you can PM me.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Thanks sunandshadow. My expectations aren't high but I've received a few replies that are promising. My interests are very focused on the nes, genesis and snes era. I'm just hoping to find someone else with the same passion. If not, that's ok too!

Thanks for your reply and I'm sure I'll be back if we have something to show.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement