🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Allow SVG attachments

Started by
7 comments, last by Alberth 7 years, 5 months ago

Would it be possible to allow SVG files to be attached to a post?

Browsers seem to understand that format somewhat nowadays, and it gives better quality than bitmaps.

Advertisement

We can allow them to be embedded in the post with a URL but not uploaded (software limitation right now).

game-player-remote-icon.svg

Admin for GameDev.net.

Pity it cannot be added now. Using 3rd-party sites to store the SVG file would somewhat defeat the idea of preserving discussions here, so I'll stick with bitmaps for now.

Thanks for investigating, though.

FWIW, we're working on an upgrade that will allow this and much more.

Admin for GameDev.net.

+1 :)

I might have figured out how to do this while looking at something else.. give it a try.

Admin for GameDev.net.

give it a try

[attachment=34724:walk_states.svg]

\o/

Edit: Attaching seems to work, converting to image doesn't, at least in my firefox browser.

Edit: The selected download icon in front is https://www.gamedev.net/public/style_extra/mime_types/gif.gif which suggests its mime-type is 'gif' rather than 'svg'.

Edit: It should probably be "image/svg+xml" as indicated by w3.org: https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/intro.html section 1.2

Edit: Downloading the file does pick it up in the right way, it seems. Perhaps it's just the policy of gamedev.net to not display it as in-forum image.

It's marked as image/svg+xml. The only reason it's using the gif is because I didn't feel like tracking down an svg icon at the moment I enabled it. (I operate my time based on a sort of ROI system..)

Not sure why it doesn't display embedded, but that could just be forum software limitation. The software upgrade will address that piece.

Admin for GameDev.net.

It's marked as image/svg+xml. The only reason it's using the gif is because I didn't feel like tracking down an svg icon at the moment I enabled it. (I operate my time based on a sort of ROI system..)
Makes sense, and is close enough as it's an image anyway.

Not sure why it doesn't display embedded, but that could just be forum software limitation. The software upgrade will address that piece.
Didn't consider that, but sounds likely.

Thanks for your efforts!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement