🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is prestige system in video games and mobile?

Started by
7 comments, last by Stormynature 7 years, 5 months ago

Ok so I'm tasked to do something that is under the prestige system and I don't understand what is it exactly? Does anyone here know what it is in games and especially in mobile games?

Advertisement

Are you talking about PvP rankings, NPC faction reputation, or about the euphemism where people who buy a subscription or cash shop currency are called prestige members? I've heard the term prestige used in these 3 contexts.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

If we're thinking of the same thing, then a prestige system is a mechanic that displays the amount of "prestige" a player has gained through accomplishing various tasks or feats in game. The term "prestige" can be interchangeable depending on the game. In Call of Roma, there's a prestige system that increases the amount of prestige a player has for accomplishing scripted objectives. It doesn't actually mean anything in the game, it's just a string that players can show off.

This sounds like a game-specific question. You should ask your teammates for more information.

This sounds like a game-specific question. You should ask your teammates for more information.

Ok so there's a mobile game called Tap Titans that has a prestige system and I'm not able to understand what is it exactly and I'm tasked to do something like that for a project.

there's a mobile game called Tap Titans that has a prestige system and I'm not able to understand what is it exactly and I'm tasked to do something like that for a project.

Before you ask your teammates what they want, I recommend you get Tap Titans and play it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

there's a mobile game called Tap Titans that has a prestige system and I'm not able to understand what is it exactly and I'm tasked to do something like that for a project.

Before you ask your teammates what they want, I recommend you get Tap Titans and play it.

I did that and I still don't understand the point of it....

but never mind, somehow my teammate made me understand it.

Tap Titans, Clicker Heroes are types of incremental games. In this case, the difficulty to beat a rank/level is exponential in growth. By restarting from the beginning by using Prestige/Ascension you carry over bonuses to the new start which means you are stronger and able to progress further in the game. Each restart (use of prestige) adds more bonuses. In these types of games, you will use prestige to restart many, many times in order to be able to clear more ranks/levels.

The term "Prestige" in this case, is not applicable to the other systems mentioned above. It is merely a restart+ function. (please note: "restart+" is in the same vein as "new game+")

or you could check the relevant game forums.

"After leveling your player's skill level to 600, you have the choice to prestige, which resets everything but your weapon upgrades and any artifacts and relics you have obtained previously."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement