🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Character Creation and Integration for Video Games

Started by
2 comments, last by warhound 7 years, 5 months ago
I have experience with concept design, modeling, and c++ programming.
What I am unsure of is the process from a finished model to a programmed 3D character that can be controlled by a user in a video game.

I am looking to create a portfolio project utilizing this entire pipeline project, and I am not able to find any forums that really touch on this topic.
If there is anyone who knows of a good forum post or has industry/personal experience in this process any advice would be excellent help.

Cheers!
Advertisement

Have you tried searching "bone animation"? Usually a 3D game with an avatar system has an animation library for the humanoid skeleton that underlies all characters. Things like hair, capes, tails, or wings may have their own animations, but they have an anchor point or 2 or 3 where they attach to the character skeleton.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Character Creation and Integration for Video Games

...What I am unsure of is the process from a finished model to a programmed 3D character...

Not a Game Design question. Moving.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Have you tried searching "bone animation"? Usually a 3D game with an avatar system has an animation library for the humanoid skeleton that underlies all characters. Things like hair, capes, tails, or wings may have their own animations, but they have an anchor point or 2 or 3 where they attach to the character skeleton.

This is pretty spot on about how character models work.

Here's a general overview.

The way character models work is you first start off with the character mesh, then you rig it with a program. The idea is that you put a skeleton underneath for manipulating/deforming the mesh. Most modeling programs will have some sort of rigging capability. Then that rigged model is exported and put into the game engine.

Game engines usually have some sort of library/functionality for working with bones/joints. This varies from engine to engine, and to answer this, it'll depend on what engine you're using.

Hope this helps!

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement