🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Feedback please - Tower defense mixed with RPG elements for desktop.

Started by
-1 comments, last by Binary Blade Games 7 years, 5 months ago

TLDR: see the videos/screenshots in the spoilers, looking for feedback and name suggestions for my tower defense, main idea is pick 4 heroes and build towers to defend the king.

I am developing a tower defense mixed with RPG elements and have a few videos of my progress so far as well as concepts in the works.

General idea: A tile based tower defense where you get 4 heroes that defend your king in addition to any towers you build. If the king dies you lose, heroes can move around the level to pickup chests that may unlock new items or towers (there are about 30 towers so far). You can have 4 of the same hero class or a combination of them. Each hero has its own unique spells and stats. Each level has 1-4 roads leading to the king so depending on the level you may want a different hero combination.

Here are videos of what I currently have implemented, it's still in the early stages:

[spoiler]

[media]https:

[/media]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

[media]https:

[/media]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

[media]https:

[/media]

[/spoiler]

Here are some screenshots of concepts in the works:

[spoiler]

fire%20example.png

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

midas%20example.png

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

hero%20example.png

[/spoiler]

Heroes and towers can level up and keep their levels permanently between levels, each level gives you a skill point that can be used in one of several stats such as lowering the cost of a tower, increasing damage, range, etc. Items can be purchased from the shop or found in chests to further customize heroes.

The main mode is story mode, it will probably have a minimal story though. Play through levels unlocking new hero classes, towers, and leveling. Anything you get in this mode can be used in the other modes.

Other modes might include an endless mode which would be what the highscore is based on. possibly a level editor where you can make your own levels but playing them would just be for fun (no unlocks, highscore, etc.) Possibly a multiplayer teamwork mode but I haven't implemented multiplayer in any of my games before so it depends on how interested people are in the game and if I am able to figure out how to implement it.

Right now a lot of the towers are too similiar some basicaly just looking different, but I intend to continue balancing them and changing them to make them more unique so people can try different combinations rather than being forced to just use a specific set of towers that are the best.

So if you like the idea and think it looks like it could be fun please comment. I am also still trying to think of a name for this, so far everything I have thought of is either already taken, terrible, or both so if you have any ideas for a name please suggest them! Also do you think that a tower defense should have some sort of limitation on where you can place towers or full freedom (aside from placing them in water or on the enemy path blocking them)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement