🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What are you working on?

Started by
102 comments, last by Shehabuhj 6 years, 5 months ago
These are some nice projects! Nice work on Curver Amr0!
szecs, your LEGO® Technic™ models have always fascinated me. Have you ever considered working at LEGO®?

Let’s keep it coming!

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Advertisement

this is MY FIRST GAME
Looks like you're making great progress, keep it up! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

These are some nice projects! Nice work on Curver Amr0!
szecs, your LEGO® Technic™ models have always fascinated me. Have you ever considered working at LEGO®?

Let’s keep it coming!

L. Spiro

Thanks!

Yes I have, though there are some much more talented people than me.

Also I think it's pretty hard to get in (there is hardly any fluctuation...), and I don't think I would move to Denmark. A home office employment would be nice but I doubt they will ever make that. I submitted some projects to Ideas (if a model gets enough support there, Lego considers releasing it as an official set), but they don't get enough support.

Currently, I am working on Spell Knights, an intended third-person slasher game that has RPG elements.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/kenneth-eng/spell-knights/ebook/product-23068242.html

If anyone would like to network, and you are an industry professional, I would like to hear from you.

Day Job:

Unannounced project at Ubisoft Toronto

Personal Projects:

An audio engine for Unreal (just for the hell of it)
A 3D remake of an old PS1 game, Blast Chamber

Wow! I loved blast chambers, good luck with that!

Professional: Cookie Jam by Jam City

Hobby: a video game version of a designer friends' card game
-Jawshttp://uploading.com/files/eff2c24d/TGEpre.zip/

@mikeman - Hyperdrive looks nice, I can really see the F-Zero inspiration there.

My dayjob is being an electronic engineering student. By night I mostly maintain a software tool used by a department in the company that sponsors me for analysing measurement data from ultrasonic flowmeters.

AKHuG7W.png

Among many features, the one I'm most proud of is the embedded python interpreter which exposes the data processing pipeline of the measurement data. Being able to hot reload scripts (which is a feat for python, apparently) and adjust python variables and have the data update in the UI in realtime really takes algorithm prototyping to a whole new level. This is something MATLAB cannot do.

For this application I wrote an intrusive performance profiler and thought it would be interesting to visualise the profile from "hot" to "cold" using graphviz. It's somewhat useful and pretty, check it out:

iym1fQQ.png

dIIoqVn.jpg

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

Wow! I loved blast chambers, good luck with that!

Yeah it was such a great game! Things are coming together pretty quickly working with Unreal. Network replication is (so far) an absolute breeze, and the animation system is a lot of fun to work with.

Got a couple of low-res videos of work in progress...

Blowing up if you don't grab the thing:

Not blowing up if you do grab the thing:

I do find myself getting distracted playing around with all of the material editors :D

There is some really cool stuff here.

Work:

Source 2 physics and physics based gameplay and VR

Hobby:

Mostly game physics and collision detection related experiments. I just started implementing a simple animation engine with a simple graph based evaluation system. The goal is to start some experiments for better animation and physics coupling.

Sorry, nothing to show yet...

Hey this is a pretty cool thread. I'll share one too. Anyone have experience with localization text? Specifically about encoding?

I looked into it and looks like utf8 is the way to go, maybe there are some other opinions out there (please share them!). Sadly though every single utf8 library I have ever seen is hyper over-engineered. The best one I could find was this one, but it solves a bunch of problems that aren't really too useful for localization. Really the function that is useful is utf8codepoint. But still not utf16 support in case certain Windows APIs need to be called (which they will, since Windows does not support utf8 strings for most APIs, but does accept utf16). So I took some of Richard Mitton's code, added a little more, and made a nice header.

If that's all it really takes to encode/decodue utf8/utf16, why would anyone want to use these things? It baffles me. I did find one decent utf8 file over in Love2D - Love2D consistently has pretty good source code. Alas it doesn't have quite enough features for me to use as-is.

Haven't worked on any flashy code for a while, but nonetheless important stuff!

drawing prairie grass

med_gallery_197293_593_519853.jpg

Although this screen shot was uploaded at 1920x1080 to show the detail, the site seems to have cut the size to 640x360.

This is from the blog entry on drawing grass. The site only cut it to 1200x675....

blogentry-197293-0-46561200-1487904549.j

Since the images are small, here's a closeup of the work as it was in progress. The grass with flowers uses a smaller version of the standard grass texture on an "atlas" with a flower image. Shrinking it made it less see-through, and thus darker. I think it may have blended a bit of the black background into the edges too. Lightening it and a non-aa background floodfill got rid of the dark edges and brought it more in line with the shade of the rest of the grass. Frequency distribution of the different plants types had not been done yet either, so you see a lot of Queen Anne's Lace. At this point the small wildflowers were also too high up on the grass meshes. All the upper ones were later moved down. All this is done with low resolution meshes and textures (<100 verts, 256x256), and no instancing. Only the ground texture is high resolution (1024x1024). Once the grass with flowers was lightened up and thinned out a bit, their quads became unnoticeable, just like the regular grass.

blogentry-197293-0-19166100-1487905181.j

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement