🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

BMFont v1.14 beta

Started by
2 comments, last by shsdgha 7 years, 5 months ago
Hi.
Why do some font characters are truncated in the derivation? On the other fonts work well.
Visualize bug:
75ba46c5dd.png
Bitmap Font Generator v1.14 beta
Advertisement

That should be font's issue. Glyph's outlines goes beyond font's reported ascent/descent metrics.

Here's how it's seen in fontforge:

[attachment=34675:fforge1.jpg]

Note that font's descent is 240, while curves is actually reaching 274.

That's why those letters was truncated.

I can't really say if it should be allowed or not. But there's microsoft recommendations for opentype fonts: https://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/recom.htm

Pixels above the ascent or below the descent will be clipped from the character; this is true for all output devices.

So, it seems it's common practice to clip those.

vstrakh is correct. The problem here is with the combination of the truetype font and Microsoft's font engine.

However, I have implemented a work around for it in BMFont already. Try using the option 'Render from TrueType outline'. With that option the application extracts the outline from the font and manually rasterizes it, thus is capable of rendering the full glyph without cropping. The drawback is that the manual rasterization doesn't take advantage of the ClearType technology to get perfectly crisp bitmap font. However, with the size that you're using you'll most likely not notice any difference anyway.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Thank you. I downloaded this font from Google Fonts and it works well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement