🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question and Tips on creating a game

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 7 years, 5 months ago

I need serious tips on moving forward with this idea of a game i have. So a game I love is on it's life support. No it is not shutting down, just the creators don't prioritize it as much as they need to use too. It has been a year since an update and the member count continues to drop. It's a online-multiplayer strategy turn based browser flash game. So instead of hoping for a miracle i decided to give up on waiting come up with an idea for a game similar to it but more dynamic.

I already jotted down the concept of the game. It's not going to be a browser game, rather I will make it a downloadable game for both desktop then for the mobile app. I plan on creating the forum for the game while the game is still in development.

What I need is some tips to get started. Also, I would appreciate if you can help answer some of the question I have about moving forward with this.

1). On average how much money would I have to spend to protect the game legally?

2). Since I want my game to be an online multiplayer that means I would need to get servers. Do servers prices differ country? (BTW Im from the USA)

3). What are the types of programmers I would have to hire to assist me with designing the sites (forum and main site for the game), the game itself?

4). On average, how much money would have to be spent to keep the game's server up and running for players across the globe?

5). This is a bit of a spoiler alert, but the game will allow users to make build their own characters with the tools given to them inside the game (Not rpg style). They will be allowed to upload images for the character they build, exactly like how you upload images when you change you forum avatar. I was wondering if there will be a legal issue if a user uploads an image of a popular cartoon character for his character and plays the game with them rather their own original design?

I guess the real question i'm asking is, if I will be held accountable in the court of law for the image (that is not rightfully his/her) a player has the freedom to upload to my game and to use as an avatar for their character?

Advertisement

1). On average how much money would I have to spend to protect the game legally?
2). Since I want my game to be an online multiplayer that means I would need to get servers. Do servers prices differ country? (BTW Im from the USA)
3). What are the types of programmers I would have to hire to assist me with designing the sites (forum and main site for the game), the game itself?
4). On average, how much money would have to be spent to keep the game's server up and running for players across the globe?
5). This is a bit of a spoiler alert, but the game will allow users to make build their own characters with the tools given to them inside the game (Not rpg style). They will be allowed to upload images for the character they build, exactly like how you upload images when you change you forum avatar. I was wondering if there will be a legal issue if a user uploads an image of a popular cartoon character for his character and plays the game with them rather their own original design?
I guess the real question i'm asking is, if I will be held accountable in the court of law for the image (that is not rightfully his/her) a player has the freedom to upload to my game and to use as an avatar for their character?

1. That is a Business question. You should ask it in the Business/Law forum.
2. Costs, again, is a Business question.
3. That is a Production/Management question. You should ask it in the Production/Management forum.
4. Business.
5. Law question.

Please ask questions only in the appropriate forum. I am closing this thread since it is not about Game Design and covers topics in two completely different forums.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement