🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Are you guys like snobs or something?

Started by
7 comments, last by dimitri_gamer 24 years, 5 months ago
I don''t want to offend you but you seem like it. I''m not up myself or anything like I was expecting someone to reply to my last post "an aspiring game developer" but from the sounds of things I thought that someone might like to impart some words of wisdom. This whole "oh look it''s the work experience guy" is so bloody annoying. You''re not above anyone. I can understand if you don''t have time to answer stupid questions but I honestly thought you guys/gals wanted the industry to expand and offer some advice. I''m not some kid (well I''m 17) that''s irrelevent. I was recomended this site and forum by a friend who said that people were all nice and helpfull, yeah right. Exuse me now while I go sulk in the corner because no one could be bothered to help me out.
--------------------------"640K ought to be enough for anybody."-Bill Gates 1981
Advertisement
I don''t know the specifics, but sometimes people only look at threads on the home page, and if a bunch of people post new threads or replys right after you, then your thread gets pushed off of the list. Maybe you just hit the wrong crowd at the wrong time.

I was looking a poll here the other day, and apparently the majority (if I remember correctly) of the people here are unemployed, so I don''t think everyone''s a snob.

Lack
Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!

Hey, Dimitri!

Your not going to learn anything sulking in the corner...I''d offer some cheese to go with your whine, but I am fresh out...

You didn''t get an answer to your post? Big deal... Ask it again....and again. Maybe re-phrase the question.

Don''t worry so much about offending someone, and don''t read too much into something that it becomes personal. Its not.

There is a lot of information out there, just sitting on a silver platter, waiting for you to come along and take a byte out of...think of it as your main course. But, if you want dessert (the good stuff), you may have to wade in there with the rest of us and fight for it!

Sometimes those pearls of wisdom flow freely from the senior members here, sometimes you have to drag it out of them. The name of the game is persistence. So, dry those tears, and get back out there and see who bytes.

Anyways...its all fun and games until someone pokes an eye out...

-mordell

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...
>> Anyways...its all fun and games until someone pokes an eye out...

Then it''s just funny...

Seriously...

Like Mordell said, this board sometimes gets a large amount of posts, and some get pushed out of the way. Also, I have to say that generic topic subjects such as ''Please Read'', or ''Help Needed'' kinda get skipped by me when I''m just scanning through new messages.

It just might be that somebody didn''t understand the question, or doesn''t know the answer. Maybe it''s too big a question (how do I make a game?).

Just hang in there.

Jim

Dimitri... calm down. Yeah, some people seem to be snobby, but where there''s a one really big forum, and some people are interested in getting answers, not giving them.

Mordell''s right about the whole thing.
- DarkMage139
Thanks, I suspected most would have been to busy, I''ll post a new topic.

--------------------------"640K ought to be enough for anybody."-Bill Gates 1981

Dim You know who I am,
You are being a very rude young man!!

cya on Monday.
" The fastest code is the code you don't call "
Sorry but you asked a very Art-related question and this site is mainly coders.
What you should learn from this site is the needs of coders and their jargon(You might have it already)->3d, 2d, tiles and tile sizes, conversion of different formats, bpp sizes, palette selection and manipulation. That''s so you and the coders can understand each other.

In the GameDev messageboard under Help-Wanted are various projects on which you can start learning this stuff. Choose wisely and ask them for a list of the stuff they''ll need and in what format. We also have going on in the GameDev community the Gauntlet Game project. It''ll be 2d tiles and sprites with some interface stuff. Check out the GameDev messageboard under Help-Wanted; I know that there''s a high coder-to-artist ratio in it geoffh is the overseer and has worked professionally with artists before. But show you can produce the art needed before
you drive him mad with industry details
Good Luck from us snobs
About this site being for coding - well, this IS the Game Art forum, and as far as I''m concerned, that''s what it deals with; no coding topics, whenever I seem them, I tell those posters to hit one of the many programming forums. There isn''t enough on this site that IS non-programmer oriented, but I''m making sure this one is GOING to stay that way. I missed your post, Dmitri, or else I would have responded. I occasionally get too busy to ever read posts (not very often does this happen), and I always try and help in any way I can. Sorry if you thought you were being ignored.

-Nick Robalik
http://www.digital-soapbox.com
-Nick "digisoap" RobalikWeb & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Designhttp://www.digital-soapbox.com[email=nick@digital-soapbox.com]nick@digital-soabox.com[/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement