🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Price for a handpainted 3d animated character

Started by
3 comments, last by Komatsu 7 years, 4 months ago

If I want to do a game with some animated characters, how much would cost to me each animated character?

?Note I'm searching something with this look (I still have no funds to pay, I just want to know the average price).

3DO_preview.jpg73cefd28-2aef-4c5d-85a9-5

But I'm mostly interested in cute animals, not in brute warriors. I could guess this takes a week of work, so depending on skill may be between 300 -500€/$ but I'm not a modeler/animator, so I really don't know ^^.

?Of course, I don't want an aSset store Item (otherwise I would buy directly one at a cheaper price), but I want characters exclusive for my game.

Advertisement

Part of the price would the number of animations.

Are they engine specific animations?

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

take a look at the models for sale on places like turbosquid.com.

model complexity increases price. matching rigged outfits increases price. number of animations increase price.

check online stores that sell such assets for a model of similar complexity with similar amounts of clothing, and a list of included animations similar at least in number (if not type) to what you need. the price of that asset would be a good starting point. kind of cartoonish, not ultra high poly, with no rigged outfits, and maybe half a dozen animations, perhaps under $100 each.

here's a turbosquid search for "animals" sorted from lowest to highest price:

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/animal/?keyword=&synonym=animals&sort_column=A5&sort_order=asc

a search of "rigged animated animals" starts at free and goes all the way up to $1675.00 for this set of models:

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/deer-family-fur-3d-ma/667228

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

A model like this takes 3-5 days and as such costs about $400- $700 USD; for a full IP hand over.

Animal, humanoid or machine doesn't matter. The time is mostly used on texturing.

It would be the model and 3-5 basic animations.

Animations will be about $20 - $40 each.

Other extras like texture cost about $25, however the artist needs to know more.

Some things I only offer to developers who can prove they have work with these types of assets, for example having a rig that is optimized for both animation complexity and performance; inexperienced developers only get to pick one so the model is easy to use.

In a asset store it will cost $40- $70 USD and you would share it with many other developers.

turbosquid is not a good way to measure prices. Turbosquid's prices will be vastly lower because the artist knows beforehand he will be getting paid multiple times for the same asset. Not just once like with a client.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement