🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ripping Graphics

Started by
5 comments, last by mark taylor 22 years, 7 months ago
I''ve heard this phrase around a few times and I was wondering what exactly "ripping" is. Is "ripping" copying a game screen and dissecting out the tiles/sprites with a paint program? In NeHe''s Zelda he has all of the maps and graphics; did he get the tiles from the rom for the game or what? Thanx for any info! Mark
Advertisement
I believe they take it a step further when they ''rip'' the graphics from the ROM. They find the area of the ROM that contains the graphic information itself, and break that up into their individual images. Something like HEX editing.

that or just sets it up so it only shows the correct layer with no graphical side effects and takes a screen dump. thats how i got my gfx for my port of zelda 3 to gba (although they needed a lot of work... res problems)
I thought that ''ripping'' was a phenomenon that occurs when you move sprites across the screen without waiting for a vertical refresh - because part of the sprite is draw in the old position and part is draw in the new position?
I thought that ''ripping'' was a phenomenon that occurs when you move sprites across the screen without waiting for a vertical refresh - because part of the sprite is draw in the old position and part is draw in the new position?
"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." - Lee Jun Fan
Thanx for the responses; I''ve recently been playing with capturing some screens from final fantasy 2 and 3 (zsnes) and editing them to get some tiles. Resolution is a big problem! It occurred to me that to get all the animation frames for the characters would be almost impossible. So then I started searching for info about how to dissect the game files themselves to get the info. I found some info about how the snes stores graphics and pallets, but so far I have been unsuccesful in finding out how to extract the data. My motivation is that there doesn''t appear to be any tile libraries out there, and I needed some tiles to use in my retro rpg game. So... I''ll let you all know if I found out how to extract the graphics.
Well, I found the resources I needed; turns out you have to get the graphics from an emulators save game file cause otherwise its all compressed and stored all over the rom. You can only get the maps and sprites that are currently being used by the game. I found utilities that let you save the maps and tiles and sprites. if anyones interested let me know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement