🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why is the forum center justified? How do I change this?

Started by
49 comments, last by LennyLen 7 years, 4 months ago

I think the reason why the width feels wrong on the Gamedev page and not on the other sites is because there is no clear indication of what is background and what is content.

Core content does always have a white background vs the light gray fill, but this is a generally reasonable idea worth exploring. Perhaps including forum headers in the core panel will make it more obvious.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement

Since you showed the ad blocker blocker I've disabled it. Now with the ads, they pop in when loading (which still takes up to 5 seconds going back/forth) moving all content down. Could you provide a fixed height so the ads do not move visible content?Back in the old days a simple width/height attribute to an image did the trick.203 requests for this specific page of the forum is quite a lot? Esp. as 98% of it are G**gle ad crap and it takes 28 seconds overall to load. The actual content took a whopping 9s to load. Something is amiss here.I really want to support you by not disabling ads but expect even more blockery stuff from other members.

The ad sizes are fixed actually. Sounds more like JS delays are happening with your browser, probably due to asynchronous loading which usually speeds page load. Page jumps are very normal with asynchronous loading. It's also not something new with this design - it's been that way since ads were reintroduced.

Either way, I'll look at what may cause slowdowns. Next time I would just appreciate some information to debug since you appear to be experiencing a special case.

Note: In page speed tests performed during testing, desktop response time is the same with this layout as previous ones. On mobile it's faster.

Admin for GameDev.net.

On a completely distracting note though. Thank you Khawk and company for the work you are putting into the site. As much as there are always niggles with any change, it sometimes need to be said that you are still very much appreciated for the work you are doing.

Either way, I'll look at what may cause slowdowns. Next time I would just appreciate some information to debug since you appear to be experiencing a special case.

I'm experiencing the same case. 27 seconds till the page finishes loading is kind of insane.

(see screenshot here, since I don't seem to be able to embed images right now)

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

There are browser addons that allow you to override stylesheets with your own. I like to use `Stylish`. After installing, create a new style for `gamedev.net`, and paste these rules in. :^)
Thank you, this fixes the jumping around of the pages.

I'm experiencing the same case. 27 seconds till the page finishes loading is kind of insane.

(see screenshot here, since I don't seem to be able to embed images right now)

These are the ads (Adsense, Amazon). This has been a head banger of a problem, and it isn't consistent (and has existed pre-this theme). Core content loads quickly but ad networks have too many pings.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Is there a way to see a list of "topics you may be interested in" ? There used to be a list like this on the homepage. When I'm short on time I often find it a useful to have a filtered set of topics that might be worth a look.

I'm not sure how it worked - somehow I don't think it was some kind of machine learning that matched my viewing history to new posts :wink:

Is there a way to see a list of "topics you may be interested in" ?

Not yet, but we're definitely headed that direction. The one that existed before was pretty.. broken. It'll take longer to get what I really want, but in the meantime I'll see if we can generate a trending/hot topic type feed.

Admin for GameDev.net.

On a completely distracting note though. Thank you Khawk and company for the work you are putting into the site. As much as there are always niggles with any change, it sometimes need to be said that you are still very much appreciated for the work you are doing.

I do appreciate the community's feedback. Some things I will continue to disagree about and others I'm willing to concede, but I know that ultimately we all want this gem of a community to continue to shine.

We've gone through probably 8 or 9 large design changes over the years, and I recall every single one of them involving pitchforks post-launch. So, this sort of response was expected - especially when I knew certain areas were less than ideal because I had put a hard deadline on it for non-technical reasons.

But, I do appreciate the kind words. We have a long history here as an organization and a community, and we've gone through some major changes in the last 9 months after several years of apathy. And we're just getting started - plenty more change to come. Not everyone is going to like the changes or every decision that gets made (and never have), but in the end the back and forth between these decisions and the community are all in the interest of growing and being the best possible resource for all things game development.

Admin for GameDev.net.

These are the ads (Adsense, Amazon). This has been a head banger of a problem, and it isn't consistent (and has existed pre-this theme). Core content loads quickly but ad networks have too many pings.

It is the ads, yes. Unfortunately, at least the ads loaded in the first 8 seconds actually cause the page layout to change.

I don't have any skin in this - ad block fixes it just fine. But it's a major barrier to being willing to disable ad block :)

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement