🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any Ideas for puzzles in a 2D platformer?

Started by
2 comments, last by wodinoneeye 7 years, 4 months ago

Does anybody have any good ideas for puzzles in a 2D platform jumper?

Advertisement

Depends on what kind of objects you have in your game. How about a puzzle that requires a player to jump on platforms in a certain sequence in order to unlock a path or raise/lower another platform?

Buttons that the player can jump on to move puzzle pieces around seem like an ideal platformer puzzle interface, if you can put them in a place where there aren't any enemies. Puzzles where a button or lever makes more than one piece rotate are a classic puzzle type, easy to find examples of.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Does anybody have any good ideas for puzzles in a 2D platform jumper?

some kind of see-saw catapult fulcrum&lever with you jumping on one end (to toss) or pushing something on the end from a higher level and possibly the things that get launched might pile so you have to launch several to fill the gap or load a second catapult to reach the final target.

an escalating set of more intricate combinations multiple

also different forces throw different distances (the arc path)

possibly fired to break a hole in a wall or kill something deadly (or trigger whatever required to advance)

maybe you bring the lever/plank with you and select which fulcrum to use

physics like YOU getting on the catapult and triggering something to fall and propel YOU

lots of possibilities for such kinetic puzzles

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement