🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for volunteers to do asset/visual work in a cartoon candy art style. Other volunteers may be accepted.

Started by
3 comments, last by DurkPut 7 years, 3 months ago

Hello everyone! I have an idea for a game (more details on that below), and I have the ability to do most of the work myself. However, I lack the skills to create art, music, or shaders for the game. If at all possible, I'd like to find someone to do those three things, so I can focus on the code and not get in over my head as I've done in the past.

Game Information

The core concept is that a normal girl in a kingdom of candy wants to be a princess...so she's going to murder the king, and anyone who gets in her way. Then she will make her father the king, and be a princess. Yeah, it's weird, I know.

The game will be called A Quest for Candy Princesshood (however, the name may change) and it will be a 2D side-scrolling souls-like. Currently, the game will be rather short for a game in this genre, ideally taking 1-3 hours to complete, based on player skill level, on first playthrough. However, the success of this post will somewhat determine the scope of the game.

The general feel of the game should be happy and cheerful, with dark undertones in the lore.

People and the Project Team

The minimum possible team:

• 1 Programmer (me)
  • 1 Artist
  • 1 Graphics Designer / Graphics Programmer (i.e. GLSL Shaders)

I could live with these volunteers, through the scope of the game would not be affected in this case.

The team I want:

• 2 Programmers (1 is me)
  • 1-2 Artists
  • 1 Graphics Designer / Graphics Programmer (i.e. GLSL Shaders)
  • 1 Musical Artist / SFX Designer (royalty free content would be fine, though)
  • 2+ QA / Play Testers

If we can gather these people, and maybe more, the scope of the game would go beyond a "for fun" project.

Anything not listed as a role above, I can handle myself, however feel free to volunteer your skills regardless..

Keep in mind that this is just a guideline. The more people, the better, for the most part.

Development Environment

The game will be developed in the 2D game engine GameMaker: Studio. This software is free.

All devs will be expected to use the provide source control repository for submitting their work. This excludes asset submissions.

All devs will be asked to join a Discord server for development communication, and general discussion. I'd like the team to, somewhat, get to know eachother.

Planned Content

Here is a helpful, billeted list of the features of the game:

• 2D side-scrolling souls-like (most implications apply)
  • Preferably, a single map or seamless loading transitions
  • 4 Required bosses, 1 optional boss (may change based on the team acquired)
  • 7 unique enemies (may change based on the team acquired)
  • Some character customization (armor-less character colors)
  • Equipped armor, and weapons should appear on the player's character
  • 5 areas for the player to explore (may change based on the team acquired)
  • A way to improve your equipment

Addition features that I do not foresee being implemented, but would be nice. NOTE these will only be worked on if the dev team wants to, and should not be viewed as required features for the game's release:

• Co-op / PvP
  • A New Game+ feature
  • Multiple endings
  • A way to customize all equipment

Volunteer Information

Accept Status: OPEN
Submission Deadline: March 30th, 2017

Here is a volunteer submission template. You don't have to use this. You may simply use it as a guideline. Provide as much or as little information as you desire.

Preferred Name:
Acceptable Roles:
Best Role:

I will PM you if you have been accepted. it's likely that you will be, unless people go nuts over this game concept.

Conclusion

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I tend to forget very basic information when it comes to posts like this, so please point out anything I may have forgotten to include.

Thanks for reading the post, and I look foreword to your feedback.

Advertisement

I am an artist and I have lots of free time, here is my portfolio

https://www.artstation.com/artist/neat123

I'd like to accept other visual style, I think we could discuss this problem.

please contract me with twitter @damaleiding

Posted Today, 07:52 AM

I am an artist and I have a lot of free time, here is my portfolio

https://www.artstation.com/artist/neat123

I want to get more information about your works.

please contract me with twitter @damaleiding

Preferred Name: WireStorm (or just call me wire)
Acceptable Roles: Research, Programming, Project Management and Development (On design(er)'s directives)
On Demand: Basic Pixel Perfect 2d assets, basic 3d objects on Blender
Best Role: Proof of Concept Development
Brief summary of past experiences: I always made development with a designer or group of designers. Other that those, the projects I made alone are developed until proofing a concept such as networking, interaction or a animation.

Preferred Name: Hatsunation (You can just call me Hatsu, Hat, whatever)
Acceptable Roles: Artist, Play Tester
Best Role: Artist

Link to portfolio(with my highly experimental art style): http://hatsunation.deviantart.com/

Preferred Name: DurkPut, but you can just call me Put for short.
Acceptable Roles: Artist, Graphic designer(if you mean logos and UI), and play tester.
Best Role: Artist

Here are some examples of my work here: http://lunaticlenny.deviantart.com/gallery/

These are some pieces I think might have the style you have in mind:

http://lunaticlenny.deviantart.com/art/Pastellia-515375332

http://lunaticlenny.deviantart.com/art/Reaching-for-the-Sky-474135009

These are just examples, though I do have an idea for an art style I think would suit the game well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement