🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My rep here doesn't rep who I am

Started by
16 comments, last by Promit 7 years, 2 months ago

Hi community, I joined here at gamedev.net a long time ago, for me it was even before owning a mobile phone (they were army-type mobile phones at the time).

Anyway, over a couple of years I earned a decent rep here (back when people were grateful for other people's efforts). I felt like I stood next to some other decent folk, who would (and still are) more than happy to help anyone. But then, I did get a mobile and found myself had drifted away from here, dunno why at the time it was different here in other ways too, like it was desktop style here I guess.

So yeah, eventually I logged back in here and my rep was 100?! WTF. Then it popped up a couple of times, I ended up like 160 of some noob amount. I try helping people - there's nothing I have to ask I'm a veteran - but seriously my rep isn't right. I feel disrespected almost!

I'm posting now to see what the true colour of the situation is. You may vote me up or down as you please and I shall go from there. Thank you.

Advertisement

Seriously? Are you really that stressed over reputation? Really?

Well, honestly I would advise you not to get stressed over rep, its a function of many variables - How often you log on/participate, how experienced/knowledgeable you are, how much time you have to help others, what forums you participate in (some forums are low voting than others e.g. in Math and Physics subforum, mostly people don't bother to upvote useful posts) and how long you've been around. In addition if you're GDNet+ you could potentially gain high rep in short time

If you are still really bothered with low rep and want to recover you past rep, you can raise the issue in the CSI forum so @Khawk might help you with that. (Or you can request that a moderator move this thread to CSI)

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

A few years back, the reputation system was changed and most reps got set back to 100. Instead of worrying about how we'll look at you now, start helping and it will increase. The only time you should worry is if it drops below 100. If it drops into negative numbers, well, good luck.

You may vote me up or down as you please and I shall go from there

Not in GDNet Lounge :D

At some point in your absence, as others have said, we switched forum software and with that came a huge change in the reputation system. It reset or otherwise drastically altered the rep score for every user (intentionally; this wasn't a bug). Your current score simply reflects the fact that you haven't been participating since. Largely I'd say that's working as intended.

We can't really restore your old rep, because the scaling between the two pieces of software wasn't linear or obvious. But mostly because it would set a bad precedent.

Interesting the rep doesn't change in the lounge, maybe I should just hangout here chilling as suggested.

Well that was the thing, I came back to square one to find a different atmosphere. I guess without the stripes i didn't feel like my contributions were seen as certified anymore, because the rep suggested I was relatively a noob. In turn I didn't post on the return.

[insert] I'm fine about not restoring the rep to something at all realistic, but I thought asking the community to decide as a mob would be a fair way. No need to worry about that now.

Sometimes I think the way systems change and disregard the minority effect is too cold. But now that I understand the situation it really isn't worth persuing. I shall continue as I was, there isn't a friendlier community around. Perhaps racedepartment is cool OT!

Thanks everyone.

It mostly works like this. I believe there has been some tweaking since that was introduced, but it is roughly correct.

The reputation system from 2005-2010 basically worked by people giving a single point to your reputation one time, or down one time. If the person's reputation was high enough the vote could count for two or three or so points.

The new system is far more generous, and based around contributing useful content. Contribute more useful replies (voted by the community) and you get more points. Thank others for their useful replies and you get points. Find and report spam or offensive material and you get points (on the flip side, misreport and you may lose points). Build up your blog and you get points. Have people upvote your blog and you get points. Log in to the site every day and get points.

Some areas of the site, like the Lounge, don't allow for points since they aren't nearly the same value for contributions, they're more like simple chat. Other areas of the site, like submitting an article, are far more valuable since they serve as a permanent reference. Of course, those also have much higher standards to be accepted.

It is really easy to get points under the new site. On the old site only the most senior people reached 2000 points. I've seen people (including myself) have reputations jump by over 300 points in a single day after making a bunch of great contributions.

I guess I should chime in that the reputation system is also under review as part of a broader sweeping set of changes to improve the site.

I'll be starting a series of blog posts on the Staff Blog about the changes to solicit feedback from the community.

Admin for GameDev.net.

The philosopher in me is tempted to say that basing the truth value of a claim based off of reputation or industry position is somewhat of a logical fallacy. The first would be "appeal to reputation" and the second "appeal to authority". Someone with a high reputation or esteemed position can post things which are completely wrong. Just post things which are true and useful, do your best, and ignore the reputation system.

I'm still noticing that the rep system sucks. Sorry posters, your words make total sense, but I feel like someone told me the 80s were a myth and go relive it if you want that history back. And it's taking a decade to earn a handful of days (Karma points, whatever they're supposed to rep...).

I'm opting out of the sytem, both ways, it'll get reset again by 1985 anyway!

edit2: edit1 vanished so that was fun

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement