🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

voxel maps suitable to quickly create content?

Started by
-1 comments, last by sqwirx 7 years, 2 months ago

I wanted to make something but I am not a artist. So, I wanted to try an approach that makes it easy to create some programmer art with minimal amount of work.

I got the idea of using voxels because these tools are easily mastered.

However, the best tools don't support large grids (i am using magicavoxel right now) and making a large world in a voxel tool is also tedious and results in a lot of data. So, then it followed logically that I would have to use a tile map editor to arrange a limited set of voxel objects into a larger world.

My proof of concept is to have a large space ship you fly over, destroy stuff, turrets, missiles, and whatever else comes in mind, force fields, black holes.

I threw together a OGL voxel proof of concept, you can see the video here:

(Note, it is not optimized in any way, performance or visually.)
(Note: i haven't yet created all the voxel objects you see in the 2d tile map)

But seeing the result I am now seeing a few problems:

- overpasses are problematic (this could maybe be solved with multi layer tile maps but I think it would still be quite difficult matching skewed shapes assuming you don't want overpasses on straight pillars )

- color matching of the voxel objects. You need to keep a strict palette to avoid having slight color deviations. And only one voxel object can be edited at once so you don't see the problem until you try the level.

- repeating tile patterns

- joining the shape of other tiles. You could have for example a ridge but at the end of the ridge, at a corner for example, you need another type of voxel block to match the shape of the corner, otherwise it ends abruptly. So that's even more work. (see video at 2:02 for what I mean)

- lining up voxels. say you have two voxel objects, a straight pipe and a bend pipe, you need to line up the voxels perfectly but you can't see the combined result until you start the game.

- the tilemap uses 2d images so it might be easy to loose track of what the tile is presenting in 3d. "what was this stair image again? a ridge or part of an overpass?"

- scale, sometimes you want big objects and it's much easier to make them in one piece instead of composing them from multiple tiles. so that would mean having a layers with different scales.

So, as an artist do you think this approach is workable? For me, as an programmer it still seems too tediious.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement