🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Engine Enthusiasts

Started by
2 comments, last by EngineEngineer 7 years, 2 months ago

Hello Everyone,

This group is for the programmers who like working at low levels, calling the API's directly. Together we will build a system from scratch using modern practices and theory. This project is intended to be educational and fun. We will construct a custom UI, define 3D worlds by mathematically-based code, and apply networking to our engine for various styles of online play. Last but not least we will strive to perfection, creating stronger implementations and more practical code, focusing not only on creating a game engine but one that can be modified as needed with as little hassle as possible.

I'm looking forward to working with other enthusiast. Please feel free to contact me,
- EngineEngineer

Advertisement

I am actually already started on an Engine. The focus is essentially Linux systems. I have a business plan already worked up and the resources. I'd like to team with you on my Kinetics engine and contribute my server and system level design as partners. Hit me up.

What language are you planning to code this in? C/C++ or C#, are you competing against UE4 or Unity then? Will this be freely available? What will the copyright be?

What experience do you have building game engines? Previous works?

These are all important questions you will need to answer. Might as well do it now.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Good point Mike,

The engine will be written in C++.

I have written some game engine systems in the past.

Whether or not the engine is freely available to all is still in the air. I would expect based on the programming industry's past experiences that we would be reinventing the wheel, and it would be just as round as anyone else's but the project is still about improving ourselves and deepening or reinforcing our understandings.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement