🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

String Pulling Psychology

Started by
1 comment, last by IADaveMark 7 years, 1 month ago

Which statement is true?

1) If an agent is travelling from point A to point C via point B, and if the subpath is walkable, I delete point B

2) If an agent is travelling from point A to point C via point B, and if the subpath is not walkable,I delete point B....

OK, I think I got it...

First, I test for Point A to C, if it is walkable, delete B

Then test for A to D, if it is walkable, delete C

If Not,

Start from C, and test C to E etc

Thanks

Jack

Advertisement
Neither, I believe. String pulling as I understand it is more like:

3) If an agent is travelling from A to C via B, and there is a direct route from A to C, then scratch B.

It doesn't matter whether or not A-B;B-C is walkable if there exists A-C.

Worth noting, before I begin... we generally frown on doing people's homework on here. That said...

Unfortunately, there are a couple of different uses of the term "string-pulling". In one, you delete intermediate nodes if a straight line exists between 2 nodes. In that case, #1 is correct. Here's an image to support.

gQn0S.png

This one is good for use on nav graphs where there is a lot of redundancy.

In nav mesh environments where there is less redundancy (but still possible), there is another application of string pulling -- cutting corners. Rather than moving to the middle of a poly or the middle of an edge segment, you actually tighten it towards the nearest point. Image...

Figure-11-String-pulling.png

That one is a bit more complicated -- especially for non-0 radius bodies since you have to do the math to find out your new destination along that edge.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement