🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Icons for satellite photo map (2D)

Started by
3 comments, last by jbadams 6 years, 11 months ago

Hi!

Im making a turn-based empire building / grand strategy game in the style of total war.
The map im planning to use is a satelite photo of earth like this (but much higher resolution).

https://www.universetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/earthmap.jpg

Problem is to find a style of icons (for cities, armies, navies etc) that fit such a background map? Any examples or tips on how to do it? (making icons for a tile-based, simplified "map" seems easier than for a satellite photo, but a photo suits my game better).

Thanks!

Advertisement

Not so many comments:)

How does this example look then? I need different icons for cities and armies of cource. Should I make the icons in other colors or shapes or how does simple icons look on a "real" photo? (a satelite photo).

Any example of games that use this style?

3MVSKBFUF.jpg

Anyone? Ive changed some stuff but still thinks the icons are not very clear. Is it not possible to better mix a background photo and icons? Noone has any idea or tip?

Thanks
Erik

GBe5MnD.png

It's a less detailed map than what you're using, but I immediately thought of when the map is zoomed right out in Supreme Commander.  It uses these icons with different colours based on team.

Your current icons don't really communicate anything other than location, and even for that, they don't stand out brilliantly from the background map.  I would try using different shapes for different things so that they communicate a bit more information rather than just acting as a location marker.  I'm not really sure how to make them stand out more other than playing with colours, I'm sure someone more artistically inclined would have better ideas though.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement