🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Here is some of my work, would love some opinions!

Started by
4 comments, last by Sigurdmusic 7 years ago

Mjellow fellow music and audio nerds!

Quick story about me: I'm a 25 year old musician, drummer/guitarist. I have been touring Europe many times since I was 18, in different bands. Mainly within the rock/metal genre.

I've always had a flair for songwriting, and a deep love for video game music. A friend of mine works in the game industry, and needed music FAST for a deadline, since the original composer dropped out last minute. He asked me if I would try to make a score. Mind that I NEVER tried it before, so I said yes ( stupid as I was haha ). But it actually turned out pretty good. that's only one and a half year ago, and now doing it fulltime when I'm not touring. I love this damn industry!

Well that was the short version. And I actually just want you to listen my ''new'' score. It's actually an older score, but it's part of my demo reel.

Tell me what you think. Good and bad! 

Hope to be a much bigger part of this forum!

Advertisement

Thanks for sharing your stuff! I've got quite a few ideas for how you can make this (and future pieces) more effective. Many of the samples used are of lower quality. Also the production of the music itself could use quite a bit more attention. Things I would look at: 

• more automation to help phrases come off more musical.
  • more reverb/FX to help with the lower fidelity samples. 
  • your higher pitched string samples are poking out of your mix pretty bad, leaving a lopsided balance. 
  • your percussion groove is a bit lackluster. Look for ways to liven that up some. 
  • some of your mix is distorting and is quite muddy due to both the harmonies you're using as well as the octaves and panning placements. 
  • I like how you go from a full texture to a very thin one (with just the harp at 1:45 for example) but consider adding in another element to help keep some momentum happening. Otherwise it can start to feel sort directionless and random, in my opinion. 

I hope that helps!

Thanks, 

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

10 hours ago, nsmadsen said:

Thanks for sharing your stuff! I've got quite a few ideas for how you can make this (and future pieces) more effective. Many of the samples used are of lower quality. Also the production of the music itself could use quite a bit more attention. Things I would look at: 

• more automation to help phrases come off more musical.
  • more reverb/FX to help with the lower fidelity samples. 
  • your higher pitched string samples are poking out of your mix pretty bad, leaving a lopsided balance. 
  • your percussion groove is a bit lackluster. Look for ways to liven that up some. 
  • some of your mix is distorting and is quite muddy due to both the harmonies you're using as well as the octaves and panning placements. 
  • I like how you go from a full texture to a very thin one (with just the harp at 1:45 for example) but consider adding in another element to help keep some momentum happening. Otherwise it can start to feel sort directionless and random, in my opinion. 

I hope that helps!

Thanks, 

Nate

Thanks a bunch man! Making music for games is totally different than writing an album, and go touring, which is what i have been making my living with for.. well always haha!

I got a few good paying jobs in the game industry, but there's a long hustle ahead! :)

Thank you so much for the feedback, i will keep it noted. The music i've mainly done for games have been much more hybrid/ electronic, so i still need to get a grip on the orchestral pieces.

Have a fantastic day!

The piece is sounding good! I think you need to invest in or source better samples however, as the logic pro stock samples are a bit lackluster. There are plenty of free packs out there :)

As mentioned above, you need to use more reverb. Also, beware of using too many elements that don't layer properly. Look into the frequency ranges of instruments and try Spectral Layering, it will help when it comes to mixing.

Your compositional work is fine however and the structure of the piece is great.

Jed

16 hours ago, Jed_Crouch said:

The piece is sounding good! I think you need to invest in or source better samples however, as the logic pro stock samples are a bit lackluster. There are plenty of free packs out there :)

As mentioned above, you need to use more reverb. Also, beware of using too many elements that don't layer properly. Look into the frequency ranges of instruments and try Spectral Layering, it will help when it comes to mixing.

Your compositional work is fine however and the structure of the piece is great.

Jed

Thank you very much!

I actually have a lot of samples from native instruments. 

I have been out touring once again, and could only take my macbook with me, so i had to compose demos with stock plugins.. 

This for example is much better sounding -
But of course is by no means the same kind of composition 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement