🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A good graphics program.

Started by
2 comments, last by DanTheRocker 22 years, 7 months ago
Here is my situation. I''m very good with 3d as well as 2d and use them equally and I have $150 bucks to burn which i want to purchase a graphics program with. What graphics programs (ie 3d studio max) would you recommend to me. I''m interested in making graphics such as starcraft style HUDs, menus, terrain textures such as grass, snow, or dirt etc(not people or weapons, things that have to look extremily reaistic). If you know of any programs that could do this I''d love to know what they are.
-Dan
Advertisement
I´m not a hundred percent clear on what you mean, it sounds like you are looking for something along the lines of Photoshop? If you can´t afford Photoshop, go either PSP or Gimp, whichever you prefer.

If you already have that, you might wanna get your hands on painter, or better yet, buy a wacom tablet (which usually comes with a version of painter).

I don´t know of any good 3d packages in that price range, Milkshape is ok for modelling, and there are a few ok rendering packages out there as well.

You might be able to get student licenses via your local university, then the "big" programs would be almost affordable.
Even with academic prices, the "big" ones are still out of reach. I checked into it, and 3DMAX is still a grand, and although Maya is like $600 or $700, it is time-bombed to quit after one year.
For 3D, go check out Blender, it really is amazing and it''s totally free. Take a look at the gallery on their website, you''ll be surprised what free software can do.
MORAY 3D is also a great, inexpensive 3D modeler, i used the hell out of it before being able to afford MAX.

go to google and do a search for MORAY 3D, it should come up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement