🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New to designing need insight and help!

Started by
1 comment, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years, 10 months ago

Hey! thanks for your time!

Im new to this and i was wondering which applications and softwares i should start with? I want to learn how to make art/animation for games! Im already quite familiar with unity and its programming side.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Advertisement
2 hours ago, NishkarshMadavi said:

I want to learn how to make art/animation for games!

2D or 3D? Either way you will want to take a look at Blender: https://www.blender.org/

It is a completely free 3D modeling and vector tool, that is ranked among the top 3D software in the world. The only downside is the difficulty of learning how to use Blender. There is a lot of tutorials on using it however it will be frustrating at the start.

Blender being a vector tool can be used for 2D bone animations. It can also be used for rendering effects and any other thing your game needs.

If Blender is difficult you will want to look into Maya and Max, they are payed software that like Blender will fit all your game development needs. Maya has some nice animation tools for professional animators and Max has some nice topology tools for professional modelers.

For 2D Photoshop is the best and a bit expensive, however it covers all the 2D tools you need.

GIMP is a free alternative to Photoshop although not nearly as easy to use and you will need other software to achieve the same functions as Photoshop. Krita is a good addition to Gimp and Inkscape to do 2D vector art like Icons.

There are more tools however these are the ones that stand out the most in the art world.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement