🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Full name and location required?

Started by
7 comments, last by TheRelic 6 years, 10 months ago

When I visited in to GDNet I was forced to type some fake name and location before I could log in. They are none of your concern. Why are they now required all of a sudden?

blah :)
Advertisement

What they said... not only was I forced to provide more information, I was given no information at all about why this is. No "we now require your location" just a form with aggressive red asterisks :)

There are a few things we're setting up for that will require them. We'll actually need more than that in certain circumstances.

In either case, there are several things on your profile that are kept private. These fields are some of them.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I've used this website perfectly fine for about 16 years now, without giving my name or location. What are these things you are setting up, that make it mandatory for everyone to provide this information?

blah :)
51 minutes ago, kolrabi said:

I've used this website perfectly fine for about 16 years now, without giving my name or location. What are these things you are setting up, that make it mandatory for everyone to provide this information?

Community features/services/contests/giveaways/personalization/discovery. Things I've alluded to in the past.

Admin for GameDev.net.

It would still be polite to explain this rather than be greeted with some corporate-looking beige "you must give us this data". Or be allowed to login but told you won't be allowed to use certain services.

It seems rather crudely implemented that members of a decade or longer are forced to provide this to continue using the site without any explanation - you cannot login to ask about it for instance! If someone doesn't want to provide personal information is their 16 years of membership not valuable, they just have to leave?

Fair points. It's a new feature in the software, but we didn't know it would be so abrupt about it (no messaging). We'll look at getting a notice on the page soon.

Edit: I've also removed the full name requirement (if you've filled it out you can edit your profile and remove it). Location is the one of most interest, and we can always request full name on a per instance basis.

Admin for GameDev.net.

You peoples need to learn to be smart about it "atmycomputer" is a location, and Nope is a fine name. 

Any organization that is irresponsible to the point of failing to give notification before hand and then force you to fill out personal information before you can use a site you have been using, deserves so serious scrutiny.  After all it is one of those things that triggers mass exodus from one site to another or simply dumping a site.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement